Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASP and an Access database

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eek

Technical User
Feb 4, 2001
CA
I need to store the value of an INPUT box that might have more than 255 characters into an Access database accessed from my ASP page.

I read somewhere that the maximum characters that can be store in a single recordis 255 ...I even got error messages when trying to store a value of more than 90 characters. Any solution to this ?

I figured I could always get the LEN of the string and then split it into multiple strings of like 80 Characters then store multiple records in my Access database.....but that seems like a long process for something quite simple...I'm sure there must be an easier solution....

255 characters is the maximum length of a text field in Access, but that can be limited even further depending upon how the db is setup. Are you certain of what the field length is in the db? If you need to store more than 255 characters, maybe you should use another data type? Such as a memo data type?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
--Dou

Thanks !

How many Characters can be stored in a memo data type record ?

Per the Help from Access, it is 64K char.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
--Dou

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back