Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASP 4 Login page not picking up Site.Master Master page anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougP

MIS
Dec 13, 1999
US
I was learning how the login page works and broke something. When it runs in the IDE and the site loads and comes up to the login page. It won't go to any other page until I log in. The login page looks generic with no styles or master page heading. After I log in it looks fine. The master page shows and everything else works like normal.
While in design view it also looks fine as well. I can see the master page and everything looks normal. But when I run it in the IDE it goes generic?

On the WEB site it works OK too so I copied the files in the Account folder down to my PC and still is broken.

Anyone know what happened?

DougP

Are you using the built-in VS Developer Server or IIS express when you run the app in the IDE?

Mark

"You guys pair up in groups of three, then line up in a circle."
- Bill Peterson, a Florida State football coach

VS Developer, I think, it launches an says local and a number, I just click the Green run button?

DougP

I would check your web.config.

if you added this code:
XML:
        <authorization>
            <deny users="?" />
            <allow users="*" />
        </authorization>

It will reject any non-authenticated users from any page... including style sheets and javascript files.

If you need to restrict the entire site, you can open up the folders that have the common code that anonymous users will also need. Just add the folder locations in the config section of the web.config. For example, I put all style sheets and common js libraries in subfolders underneath a folder called "Common". I'm not necessarily promoting this practice... just explaining for clarity of the syntax.

XML:
    <location path="Common">
        <system.web>
            <authorization>
                <allow users="*" />
            </authorization>
        </system.web>
    </location>
This code allows all users into the folder (and subfolders) regardless of authentication.

Good luck!

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back