Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASN CPU Failure, any hope for recovery...

Status
Not open for further replies.

devocite

IS-IT--Management
May 23, 2002
US
We have 3 ASNs on the shelf that "fail CPU" test and that's it! The symptoms are consistant with an artical I found at Nortel:

"...units shipped between 5/95 and 2/97 are susceptible to a bit loss (transition from logical one to zero) in certain memory locations on the boot and diagnostic PROMs in these units. This occurs over time and a running system will not exhibit any symptom until a power cycle is initiated."

Anyone ever found away to 'fix' the prom via some other means or is a PROM swap/upgrade the only way?

Update...per talking with the Nortel guys, if the diag is messed up, I wouldn't even get a CPU test...

So it seems that it IS the main board!

Unless someone knows what the LEDs on the front of the main board mean, I'm guessing it's dead...<sniff><sniff>

jam

Just for Kicks,

When it fails does it boot into diag mode? If so it might be worth burning the OS and Diag prom. Seems strange that you would have three of these with the same error.

No, sadly enough they don't, else I would at least have a fighting chance.

I tried to get to diag prompt via Break+Enter but apparently that is too not available if the CPU &quot;fails&quot;

BTW the other two a couple of ASN's we bought, for spares, off Ebay, and neither would boot, fortunately the cards were ok.
(bad equipment off Ebay, never! ;-))

I just wish there was a way to determin WHAT exactly is wrong or what failed..i.e. clock, a controller, processor, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back