Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASM extensions to Dictaphone system

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMilden

Vendor
Oct 21, 2005
US
I have a customer trying to integrate 4 lines from the nortel ASM into a dictaphone system. I have yet to look up information on the dictaphone system, thought I would try the problems here first.

Customer has a T1 with DID's. With the 4 ASM lines connected to the dictaphone you can call in from the outside on the DID and it will ring the dictaphone. The problem that is occuring is you cannot make an internal call from the norstar dialing one of the ASM extensions. All it does is ring up to the dictaphone system but doesnt go through it.

We have narrowed it down to what we believe is a cadence problem. The internal ring has a different cadence than an external call.

What does work is long tones. When long tones is enabled and an internal call is made it does work. Only problem with that is the customer doesnt want to do the feature everytime an internal call has to be made. Programming a button to do this is almost not an option. They have a million phones and each phones buttons are maxed to usage.

We have also tried putting those lines in a hunt group, changing distinctive ring ect..

Just wondering if there is any other things for me to try since its not capable enabling long tones perma on those 4 extensions.

@ RikRodgers: As I said they dont have any room for anymore buttons on their phones. Most of them are M7208's and the buttons are all used.

@curlycord: We tried it with tones on and tones off still no dice.

How about 4 asm lines to 4 trunks then have the 4 trunks ring to other 4 ports on asm...i asume the dictaphone is for internal use so all call to it will now be seen as external inbound.

I was actually thinking about hooking some asm lines to trunks, just havent tried it yet. That was my next step but the dictaphone is used for external use as well. They receive direct inbound calls from outside as well as internal and internal transfers. I will try hooking some asm ports to trunks and ring their used asm ports and see what happens, I just dunno if it will give the ring cadence we are looking for since its still not a true analog line.

You are probably right. Norstar takes it's cadence from the CO, and if an ata is the CO, you'll still get the double ring.

Yea we hooked it up to CO and still got the double ring. Something interesting we found though and will test today is we took the asm extension and connected it to a line share device as the input and threw a phone on the output and behold, we got the single ring tone. Will let you know if it solves the problem.

We went to site and found cadence is not the problem. What the problem is, is that the digital sets are not putting out the dual tone that the ls/ds cards put out. The dictaphone is looking for the dual tone and the digital sets internally are only putting out single tone. Is there a way to enable dual tone system wide?

You mean DTMF? I'm pretty sure the only way to do that is with an old VMI (voice mail interface).

They're expensive when you can find them, but I wouldn't be suprised if there's a third party vendor out there making a generic equivalent. If you find one, let us know.

Have to agree with Rik. VMI would probably work best for that application as the digital sets put out no tone at all after connecting to another internal extension (unless you use long tones).

Whatever ya do, dictawife, not da phone! :)

Phonehed in Dallas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back