Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

asking suggestions about software dev't service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970

hi,

i want to become an independent sofware developer someday that offers customized software solutions for small businesses in our small town here. the problem is that, i dont know the right amount to charge and terms of payment to this kind of service. also, can anyone give me the practical and hands-on approach in software development stages and the right layout of creating a software documentation (both technical and end-user). im 1st year college right now and i want to have an idea for software development service. i wish anyone can help me.

thanx in advance!!!
merry xmas and happy new year.

:)

t-Bear

Take a look at your course requirements for your degree field. If you are seeking a programming degree, you should have a required course having something to do with "systems analysis" get the book for that course, it will put you on the right path for the system/software development cycle. Next, documentation of your software will come with a "technical writing" class. The book for that class will teach you how to write perfect stereo-assembly instructions for your developed system. As far as what to charge...well i can't help you there. But I think you have a start.

Scott

scott,

hi! thanx for your advice. you gave me a brilliant idea.
i appreciated that!

thanx a lot.

:)

t-Bear

You might want to visit which is run by Janet Ruhl. You'll have to adjust your rates downward from her site, as you live in a small town (many of her visitors are from the Bay Area and/or New York).

Don't forget that as a contractor, you're responsible for paying all your own healthcare, income taxes, FICA, and other expenses. So don't forget to subtract about 50% off the rate to determine what your "real" take-home pay will be.

Chip H.

BTW: Next quarterly Estimated Tax is due at the IRS on January 15th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back