Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Asking Questions On-Line 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

CajunCenturion

Programmer
Mar 4, 2002
US
A colleague just introduced me to this document: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way. I recommend that everyone in the Tek-Tips community take some time to read it.

Of particular importance to this forum is the following section:
Write in clear, grammatical, correctly-spelled language
It underscores how many of us feel about proper use of language, including spelling, grammar, capitalization, and punctuation; and how improper use reflects back on the author.

It's a good read.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Nice find! Have a star.

I shall read, digest and *try* (although probably not always succeed) to stick to it!

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

sleipnir,

I'd give you three years' worth of stars if I could, but as it isn't allowed you'll have to make do with just the one. :)

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

A star for each of you!

--Dan
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain

hehe STFW is my new favorite reply to everything.

[blue]Never listen to your customers. They were dumb enough to buy your product, so they have no credibility. - Dogbert[/blue]

A lot of us have links in our sig's along those lines, sleipnir. See mine or Cajun's. But most of them (or, at least, all of the ones I have ever clicked on) point to one of a handful of FAQs here on Tek-Tips.

I never knew your's linked externally.

And I never would have if the link hadn't been brought to my attention in this thread.

Good find, both of ya. Stars all around.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

I make a point of following links in signature lines, or at least I do for the most active posters. I guess I just assumed everyone else does, too.

Just chalk this up to a, "That am I, chopped liver?" moment.

Perhaps something less subtle......

Want to ask the best questions? Read Eric S. Raymond's essay "How To Ask Questions The Smart Way". TANSTAAFL!

I make a point of following links in signature lines, or at least I do for the most active posters. I guess I just assumed everyone else does, too.

I usually don't.

I mean, I've followed a few some time ago; I read how to ask the best questions on several Tek-Tips forums - how many times do I need to read on the topic? I already have an idea. Besides, most often those FAQs are copies of each other with some changes, and also following them adds forums I am not interested in to my list.

Other signatures often contain links to the member's company (I rarely follow) or blog (usually don't follow from work). Do you follow those?

Sure. You never know where they might lead.

Exactly. That's why I don't. :-D Well, almost.

To my experience, the dreck-to-gem ratio of links in TT member signature lines is significantly better than the internet in general.

Which, of course, is not saying much....

Want to ask the best questions? Read Eric S. Raymond's essay "How To Ask Questions The Smart Way". TANSTAAFL!

I have typed "stfw" dozens of times since reading these articles, and it's really ticking off all my (former) friends. Thank you "Making an Impression"!

[blue]Never listen to your customers. They were dumb enough to buy your product, so they have no credibility. - Dogbert[/blue]

[rofl]

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back