Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Asking for logon information which doesn't exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

catbert

Technical User
May 1, 2003
GB
Hi,

I hope someone can help, I know a number of people have reported similar issues but I have not found a solution.

I am using Crystal reports 10 and enterprise v10 over XP. I have a report which is linked to 2 databases - a SQL database with logon information which I have saved in enterprise, and an MS Access database which has no security/logon details. The report was created in Crystal v 11 however:

The enterprise server has access to these databases.
I can open/run this report on the PC where enterprise is running. ( v10)
I can see the preview thumbnail in enterprise.
I have ticked the box which ensures the user is not prompted for the password.

Yet when I try and run this over enterprise I get the following error:"the database logon information for this report is either incomplete or incorrect"

If I remove the MS Access database info and run this report it works fine, so it is only this data source which is a problem. As the report runs through crystal on the same machine I know it has access to the data. Does anyone know why it asks for a password (which doesn't exist) through enterprise?

Many thanks in advance
CB

Hi,
Be sure the services in CE are running under an account that has full rights to the access database and its folder.

The machine's access ( which is based on your login) and the CE services's access rights are different so be sure that the Report Server, Cache Server and Job Server's user accounts have the permissions needed -

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Ha ha!

I had tried this and got a "cannot restart logon incorrect" error. but I persevered on your advice - and it turns out I need to add the domain to the logon name, and you have to press apply AND ok, otherwie it doesn't save!

Thanks for the reply, all now well.

CB

Hi,
Glad to help...Usually it is best to run the CE services under a domain account for just that reason...

[profile]

Could you clarify for me then - what is the local system account it defaults to - I assumed this was the account I was logging on with - which has admin rights, hence my confusion. You obviously have a good understaning of this and it will help me pass this knowledge ono others here.

Much Appreciated
CB

Hi,
That is not related to your login at all, it 'belongs' the the computer it is on and is a local administrator:

see here for more:

and Local Service is also different:

This is what a Domain account has:

[profile]

makes a lot of sense, which makes a nice change.

I thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back