Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ashamed to admit i have a dell GX270 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckes101

Technical User
Feb 8, 2006
GB
Hello friends and thank you for taking the time to look at my thread. I am a little embarrassed to admit that a dell GX270 has got the better of me. I have a number of units that i have been trying to upgrade. A dell GX 270 has 1 unused SATA connection on the motherboard. I have been trying to remove the standard 40 gig IDE hard drives and replace with various size SATA hard drives ranging from 80/120/320/500 gig drives. But no matter what i connect to the SATA connector on the motherboard the BIOS shows as unknown device. Even if i try to connect a SATA optical drive i still get the same unknown device. So basically what ever i connect to the SATA mobo connection does not work. This has happened on 7 or so units so it is not a one off. Can someone please shed some light on the situation and put me out of my misery. You will definitely go on my Christmas card list if you can offer some advice. Thank you..

You have to go into the BIOS and ENABLE each SATA port separately or it's really sort of OFF, even though connected to power and sata cables.

Hi

Yes i have been setting the SATA controller to auto however every thing still shows as unknown device. But....I have just tried loading a dell GX 270 image via acronis. Acronis can see the SATA hard drive and loaded the image OK. Once the image is installed on the hard drive all future trips into the BIOS show hard drive as a recognized device and lists its make and model. My mistake was going no further when i was seeing the unknown device. I spent way to much time trying to get the BIOS to recognized the SATA drive instead of trying to load an O/S to see what happened!! Ow well..we live and learn. thanks for the advice guys....

I would try updating the BIOS, if there is a flash available. Sounds like maybe Newer Drive and Older Mobo

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back