Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASF file Error downloading codec

Status
Not open for further replies.

nashcom

MIS
Apr 12, 2002
GB
I'm afraid it's another codec question...

We have to allow all users to view ASF files of 'The Office Outing'! Unfortunately, most PCs can't view the video, although the audio works. My PC works fine, and from what I've seen of the the video clips, there's nothing worth viewing anyhow, but...

On a test PC (similar to all PCs in the office) we're running Win XP Pro SP1. I've tried upgrading to Windows Media Player 10, and installing the codec pack from the MS site. I've searched on the internet, and I'm obviously not the only one having similar problems - there seems to be a dearth of info, but nothing I've tried works.

The codec in question appears to be m4s2 (which from what I understand is a Microsoft MPEG4 codec) so I don't know why Media Player can't handle it.

I'm loathe to download anything that may be dodgy (in terms of alternative video players etc), so I'd really appreciate some advice on how to make Windows Media Player work.

Thanks!

David

I had the same problem until I installed the Divx codec.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back