Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ascx Controls Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbullaspnet

Programmer
Dec 12, 2009
GB
I've got my website, on a Windows Server 2003 (asp.net 2.0) dedicated machine. In the last few weeks, it's crashed a few times and I think it does this when it performs an auto update and tries to restart. When they support staff from the hosting company manually reboot it it seems to startup ok. I had this crashing problem yesterday and again overnight.

The server is currently up and running as is the website. However, I use some asp.net controls (radcontrols by Telerik) which don't seem to be working now (the menu which is displayed in front of everything is one of these controls). Also, my blog ( isn't displaying any posts and this is also an external control. It also uses an Access DB if that matters.

I've not made any changes to the code for months so must be something relating to the server setup.

Also, due to recent problems my web host moved the server to another DC but said the only change this would create is the physical location of the server.

Parts of the website which talk to my SQL Server 2005 Express DB seems to be working ok and it's just the controls which don't seem to be running.

Does anyone have any ideas on why this might be happening on what I can to find out more?

enable logging in your application to see what the problem is. once you have the error logged it's a matter of following the stack trace.

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

faq855-7190
faq732-7259

Also, due to recent problems my web host moved the server to another DC but said the only change this would create is the physical location of the server.

Did the move the server, or just port your software to a new box?

Do the Telerik controls need anything to go into the gac on the box, or a license file / special permissions?

Ultimately though as JMeckley said, if you can enable some form of logging this will be easier to pin down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back