Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AS400 PRINT JOBS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 19, 2004
US
I'm having a problem with our AS400. Everytime you tell it to print a job, it automatically puts the job on HOLD, and it will not release the job.

SPARKERNO1,

Check the job description you are using. The "Hold job on queue" parameter.

HTH,
MdnghtPgmr

How do I check this? It seems to be EVERY job we put on the queue.

SPARKERNO1,

Do your jobs produce job logs? If so you could look at those and see what job description is being used. Once you know the job description, you can change the job description using the CHGJOBD command. Look for the parameter I told you about above.

If you are a small shop, it could be that all jobs are using the same job description. If not, well, you likely have some days ahead of you checking out the different job descriptions.

Good luck,
MdnghtPgmr

Does the job complete normally, but produce spool files which just don't print? Maybe the writer for the printer isn't started (WRKWTR). Or the job description for the job points to an output queue that does not have a printer attached to it. At my site have such an outq, so all our compile listings don't waste paper.

Has anybody changed/added output queues or job descriptions lately?

De mortuis nihil nisi bonum.

Sometimes on an as400 the default is to go to hold print que and you can send it to another print que depending on which printer it prints on. We use to do this for programmers so they can look at their output to see it from off-location. If a printing service was not working it may automatically go to hold. At one time we had ours set up to go to a linux box and the linux box did the printing because the printer did not work well with the AS400. Basically we used the Linux box as a print server.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back