Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AS400 PCOMM shuts down when using multiple MACROS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeisterWolf

Technical User
Jan 13, 2021
US
SO I use multiple macros I created in AS400 PCOMM emulator to update different types data on files and preset screens. Most of these macros are some I have been using for quite some time and never had a problem until a couple months ago.
On this day I was using the same type of MACRO multiple times to update some screens when all of a sudden my AS400 EMULATOR shut down on me.
I logged back in and set up my screens again to update multiple data fields. The Macro worked on the first update, but when it went to the second screen to make an update AS400 shut down.
Each time AS400 shuts down I have to shut down all the AS400 windows I have open and end the PCSCM.EXE (32 Bit) Process.
Then open my AS400 back up again.
Now I can only use one macro at a time. I have to wait for awhile, Maybe 10 minutes or so, before I can either use the same macro or another one.
Each time it is not the same MACRO so it is not specific to one Macro. It is all of them. All the Macros I have I was able to use fine before hand.
None of my macros have any type of delay on them for any reason after each update, nor any type of hold, especially since I may be making multiple updates, one after the other. IN many cases it is the exact same update just for a different client.
I am not aware of any updates that occurred at the time to the AS400 system, Iseries, or on my computer. This was just a circumstance where all of a sudden they were fine. Then they were not.
I had our IT remove and reinstall the AS400 on my computer, that didn't work.
I had removed all my macros and started fresh and that didn't work.
No other programs are having any issues when this happened, only my AS400 Emulator related to macros.
I am trying to see if there is a setup I missed that might be causing this issue. Somehow was changed while using macros in the AS400 PCOMM Emulator.

Hi,

None of my macros have any type of delay on them for any reason after each update, nor any type of hold

First, I know absolutely NOTHING about your emulator or the AS400 system

However, I have used 3270 terminal emulators and know a bit about running an asynchronous process, that is a process that is on another machine of which you have no visibility. It is a "black box" process. The process could take milliseconds, seconds, minutes or perhaps the host processor has stopped, YOU DON'T KNOW, unless your code WAITS for a notification from the host that it is ready to process the next statement.

Your statement above indicates that your code has no delays and furthermore, your other statements indicate that you've run these procedures without any problems for years. Well, I inherited a bunch of similar procedures that users used for years without any problems. And then, one day, I had problems. Thing was, that those users all DID have delays after each command sent to the mainframe, but all had some sort of FIXED delay duration. TILT! This time, the sluggish mainframe on THAT day exceeded the fixed delay.

Bottom line: when coding the exchange of data with an asynchronous machine, you must use some sort of delay technique to wait until the host is ready to process the next statement. In my emulator, I could [tt]WaitForCursor(rw, cl)[/tt] in a loop before executing the next statement. That's my suggestion.

Although this may not be your emulator, this info might help...
FAQ99-7887

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]
"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible" A. Einstein

SkipVought (Programmer)

Thank You for your reply.

Yes I understand there are the Normal 'Wait' delays within a macro. I guess I should have been more specific and stated the commands for a 'HOLD' or 'DELAY' as some macros might require. Those are what I was referring to.

That being said I have an update. I am now no longer able to use any Macros and I pretty sure I figured out why. It has to do with the normal Microsoft updates. I realized after our most recent Microsoft update that when I my issues started occurring before an update was going on. I just didn't associated to the update at the time because I had not re-booted my computer yet to allow the updates to complete. I also did consider that not all the updates require a reboot. When our most recent updates occurred I rebooted my computer after the Microsoft updates and 'BOOM' my macros in the AS400 would not work at all. They kicked me out immediately.

I guess I have several choices to consider:

> Post this issue on the Microsoft forum and let them tell me well I need to post this on the IBM forum.
> Post this on the IBM Forum and have them tell me the Microsoft Updates should not affect the Macros this way.
> Start uninstalling the updates one at a time until I figure out which one caused the issue to see if that will fix the problem. Then I can report back to my company who was unable to find anything wrong with the program when I submitted a ticket.

I welcome any other suggestions that anyone has.

I have no clue. Your proposed line of attack seems reasonable.

Please let us know where you end up after you complete your journey.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]
"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible" A. Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back