Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AS400 Connection - What info do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tubbers

Technical User
Jun 23, 2004
US
The IT guys in our organization have written two views for me to use in a Crystal Report. They are not familiar with Crystal and I'm not familiar with the AS400 iSeries in any way shape or form.

I have access to the views through the iSeries Navigator: My Connections -> Databases -> Schemas -> MyMDB -> Views -> MyView. When I double-click on the view, it successfully runs.

I'm trying to connect to Crystal Reports. We're using Crystal Reports Server XI. I've tried the following: Create New Connection -> ODBC (RDO) -> Data Source Selection. I'm stopped at this point. There is not an existing file DSN on my computer for this data source (to my knowledge). I do not have a connection string either.

My question is, what information do I need to ask the IT guys for in order to get either a file DSN created for my computer or a connection string? Is one method preferred over another?

My second attempt at connecting was via a OLE DB (ADO) connection: Create New Connection -> OLE DB (ADO) -> OLE DB Provider -> I select "IBM DB2 UDB for iSeries IBMDA400 OLE DB Provider" -> Connection Information -> I enter in the appropriate information and the right database shows up in the database drop down box. After I click finish, I only have the option to "Add Command". Is this a working connection? How would I write a command to extract the information from my view? It only has 4 fields and I know the names of them.

I appreciate any advice and suggestions. I've been reading various posts but I haven't had much luck.

You need to build either an odbc connection through the administration tools on your desktop or have an OLEDB available to pick up through CR.

Thanks so much!
satinsilhouette

I was able to get administrative right and set up a File DSN. I can now connect and run a report with the views.

I discovered though that I cannot schedule the report in Crystal Reports Server XI. Depending on the settings I use under Process -> Database, I get the following:
1. Unable to connect: In correct log on parameters
2. Failed to load database information
3. The database logon information for this report is either incomplete or incorrect.

I did not create a File DSN on the server which hosts the Crystal Reports Server. Is this necessary? What settings could I be missing that could cause these different types of error messages?

The File DSN was created using the iSeries Access Driver and the various settings suggested by fredp1 in thread 766-911701:
User the General Tab, click on the connection Options button
Default User ID: Use Operations Navigator
Signon dialog prompting: Never prompt for SQLConnect
Security: Do Not use SSL
Click Okay

On the Server Tab
SQL Default Library: your library name
Library list: leave blank

Click the advance button
commit mode:Commit Immediate

Under the Packages tab
Package library: your library name(Same as before)

Under The Translation tab
Enbale Convert binary data to text

I also created a System DSN using the same settings as above. I didn't know if there were any differences between a file and a system DSN. Still had the same problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back