Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AS400 and windows server on the same LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

philmah

MIS
Apr 21, 2007
US
Does anyone know whether or not an as400 can see a windows server on the same LAN (say an 802.3) - and if so if I have a printer defined on the windows server - can the as400 print to it?

Tx

HTH,

I don't think the 400 can see the printer q on the windoze server, however, assuming the printer has its own IP, the 400 can print directly to the network printer via a remote outq. search this forum for info on how to do that.

Mike Butler
Iseries Guy -> PC's gone, SUNs gone - WooHoo
"Never put off 'til tomorrow what you should have done yesterday

Tx a lot - but it is not the printer itself that I need - it is the printer driver in the windows printer Q - it actually has the prcocessing capabliliy that I need - it will modify the print streanm that the AS400 will send to it....

Philmah

AFAIK, you can't access the drivers on WinServer from the 400. The 400 may have a driver supporting your printer. If not then you may need to enter the wonderful world of WorkStation Customization. Here's a link to IBM's knowledgebase

to get you started. I'm not a wizard at that stuff. Good luck.

Mike Butler
Iseries Guy -> PC's gone, SUNs gone - WooHoo
"Never put off 'til tomorrow what you should have done yesterday

Either that (*wscst) or use Client Access to set up a printer session on the winblows machine. You should be able to customize it from there.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back