Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AS200 - Slow remote backup since ArcSrv SP4 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgv

IS-IT--Management
Aug 19, 2002
US
I've searched for possible solutions everywhere, as usual - Im coming back to Tek-tips.

Recently installed Service Pack 4 for our Arcserve 2000 to correct Exchange brick backup problems. This worked fine. All servers on W2K SP3.

However... after rebooting the server a couple of days later - backup of remote server shares has gone from ~200MB/min down to about 25MB/min. What was a 4+ hour backup is now taking 12-16 hours.

I dont believe it is a network issue since the remote Exchange backup still gets normal throughput, and dragging files across the network as a test works fine. I seems like backing up a single large file works OK... but baking up large numbers of files kills it.

1 remote serve has Open file agent, 2nd remote server has Exchange and Open file agents.

I have an open ticket with CA, but so far they are no help beyond asking to de-install the Open file agent as a test which Im not going to do. (I have seen many problems with reinstall and re-licensing of these products) Getting close to checking out BackupExec if I cant get this corrected.

T%hanks for any comments...

Cheers

Have you tried to backup data without using the client agent ie. via the network with the agent service disabled? What kind of throughput do you see compared to with the agent? Granted this is a test so don't expect it to backup up your system state and registry

rbl

rbl -

Thanks for the comment. Embarassingly, I did not yet try that, but I will shortly. Wasnt sure if the Arcserve *required* the agent in order to run.

Thanks,

Verified that disabling the open file agent on the remote server does not seem to have any impact on performance.

Still getting < 20 MB/min. On the same remote server, the Exchange agent backs up at about 150-200BM/min.

I believe a single large file gets decent throughput, however - many small files kill it. My sample directory has 27,000 files total about 1.6GB in several hundred directories.

Simply copying the files accross the network: the throughput on the copy is about 140MB/min.

(sigh)

My recommendation - uninstall SP4 and wait for it to be fully tested. I try to wait for about 6 months after any Microsoft Service Pack is released to actually install it. That way, most of the initial bugs are worked out and corrected.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help,

Eric
Server Backup Technician

I would consider the following:

* Deframent the source server that being backed up
* Use the NT Client Agents at both ends not just Open file and RPC agent for brick level backups. This facilitates the push process
* Ensure ports are 100/FULL duplex forced not Auto-negotiate

jeylons99...

Thanks for the reply.

I suppose I could purchase the Client Agents which would help. Perhaps I'll get a price on them.

Ports have always been at auto negotiate and wind up working at 100/full. The problem seemed to suddenly start after installation of AS SP4... so unclear to me if defrag or messing with network settings is at the root of the problem?

again, thanks.

ARCserve 2000 client agents have been free in the past. It's an unsung secret. I recently upgraded to Brighstor v9 and it does mention at least 5 free NT/2k (push)client agents - these agents reduce the amount of traffic transmitted over the lan. They process the backup data locally before then sending to backup server.

The importnat factor is that the client agent needs to be installed at the source server - I then configure the IP address rather than name resolution and the backup priority to high. But most importantly is the ARCserve server will not utilise unless told specifically during the config of the backup job. Righ click the server and choose 'Use Agent'. This will ask for authentication and if it prompts for O/S this normally means it is miscommunicating with the source server.

I tend to Compaq team at least 2-3 NICs on the backup server thus offering a theoretical throughput of 200-300Mbps(100Mbps/Full duplex ports). I set-up Fast Etherchannel(FEC) on the Cisco's for these combined ports. I then have the server backing up concurrently to multiple SDLTs or Ultriums. With the NICs teamed I am just moving the bottleneck elsewhere.

Your problem could have been inherited with SP4. Check the AS logs to ensure it was only when the install of SP4 came about. Also I would not assume your ports have negotiated correctly. When it comes to servers I would force at the switch and server NICs.

Good luck.

Thanks for the lucid and detailed reply. I appreciate it.

I will research the agents.. I spoke with CA and they too said that I should have received 5 free. Unfortunately I inherited this system and its unclear why they were not installed or where they may be (On the old media pack I suppose)

I will check the logs again, but fairly certain that the problem started the same night I rebooted the servers. (Which as 3 days after installing the service pack) I believe some of the replaced DLLs wouldnt take effect until the reboot.

I will work on the agents first, and if that does not help Ill look at setting full duplex and a couple other items.

best regards,

aha!

well... it seems that the client agent makes all the difference in the world. These were never installed by the former person who set these systems up.

For remote server logical drives:

Before AS SP4, Open file Agent Only: ~200MB/min
After AS SP4, Open File Agent Only: ~20MB/min
After AS SP4, Client & Open File Agents: ~600MB/Min

Nice. I wonder if there was any functionality shift between base product and the agents between SP3 and SP4 that made the Client Agents more of a requirement. In any case, it solved the problem. Just installed and called up CA to get the reg keys.

-Steve

Steve - thanks for posting this - can you tell me how your remote server is accessed - over a WAN? or do you have a direct pipeline...and if so, what are you using.

Thanks

sklum,

by 'remote', I merely mean other servers on the same lan.

Connected via ethernet/100.

Steve

Back in time I read this thread recommended by another member.
But even I have the same problem with the echange agent of Arc I didn't install nothing new nor Service Packs.
The Average Throughput is now close to 5 Mb/min when two weeks ago was 150 Mb/min.
Gradually, due perhaps to exchange databases growing until 40 Gb, the elapsed time is over 35 hours ...
Nothing to do with network nor antivirus configuration ( i think).
I had post another thread called "ARC Exchange Backup Slowing too much" today on 05/17/04 before reading yours.

I'd Considerate your opinions,
Thanks a lot,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back