Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

As User Unable to use serial Port?

Status
Not open for further replies.

popotech

IS-IT--Management
Dec 5, 2001
US
I have a user on the a station where he is the set up as a user. i was wondering, i have to allow him to download pictures from a digital camera that is setup through one of the serial port, I think, but the camera won't connect. is there a setting in group policy that is disabling the serial ports? i signed on as a power user and it works but as a user it doesnt'??????????
popo

go to users in the control panel and add him as a user and set him as a power user.

thanks glifx, just did it. works like a champ. what is the power user really for?

It is not a problem with the serial port / user but with the rights that a power user gives you. It sounds as if the the camera software requires a higher level of permissions than just user. Giving him power user rights should not unduly affect your control as an Administrator but if you do not want to upgrade him look at the software and maybe run the executable as a different user ('run as')

Poptech, we must have hit the submit button at the same time - here is what power users are about.

Members of the Power Users group have more permissions than members of the Users group and fewer than members of the Administrators group. Power Users can perform any operating system task except tasks reserved for the Administrators group. The default Windows 2000 security settings for Power Users are very similar to the default security settings for Users in Windows NT 4.0. Any program that a User can run in Windows NT 4.0, a Power User can run in Windows 2000.

Power Users can:

Run legacy applications in addition to Windows 2000 certified applications.
Install programs that do not modify operating system files or install system services.
Customize system-wide resources including Printers, Date/Time, Power Options, and other Control Panel resources.
Create and manage local user accounts and groups.
Stop and start system services which are not started by default.
Power Users do not have permission to add themselves to the Administrators group. Power Users do not have access to the data of other users on an NTFS volume, unless those users grant them permission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back