Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

As frontend gateway for exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechDaddy123

IS-IT--Management
Apr 18, 2002
US
Anyone have experience hooking up Mdaemon as a gateway for exchange? Particularly having Mdaemon do an LDAP lookup in AD for users?

We use mDaemon in exactly this way with Exchange 5.5

We do this for 3 main reasons -

1. mDaemon strips attachments for us (.bat, .exe, .com, .pif, etc, etc)
2. mDaemon goes out and retrieves mail from a POP3 account we have (no need for MX records, static IP, perm. connect etc)
3. We used to run mDaemon as our main mail server but head office (idiots) insisted on Exchange for infrastructure purposes.

Sounds good. I'm running MDaemon as a front end for Exchange 2003 currently, but without an LDAP AD lookup for users, or painstakingly entering in all my users (and keeping that updated) MDaemon will refuse the mail (for security reasons of course). I've had to configure it to forward all incoming mail to exchange, after virus scanning and anti-spam.

I love being able to see a detailed log file on the fly, and I wish I could send mail back thru it from my Exchange, but I haven't figured that one out yet either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back