Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AS/400, terminal services, and client access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CFeyrer

MIS
Jul 10, 2003
US
We're running an AS/400 on a TCP/IP network, we communicate with the AS/400 using a terminal server and about 70 users with a dual NIC.

The problem is is for whatever reason we are eating up interactive CPU on the AS/400. It's an iSeries 840.

I want a way to eliminate the terminal server as a possible cause of the problems, or eliminate the AS/400 as a possible cause of the problem.

WRKUSRSYS and WRKACTJOB both confirm that active session capacity is being exceeded, but our software company keeps telling me it's a network problem. Since Client Access is supposed to be fully supported under Terminal Servicves...I'm looking for solutions!

We have infrequent disconnected sessions from the terminal server, I'd also like to get completely rid of those.

Any suggestions are valued!

Thanks.

Would it be possible to do tcp/ip directly to the AS400,, and bypass the terminal server. I will ask the stupid question, why are you running it thru a terminal server? Call me stupid,, and it has happen more than once, but isn't the interactive directly connected to the number of users, and what they are doing. I know from experience that IBM now penalizes the AS400,, when the interactive CPW is exceeded. They started this when V5 was released.

We are doing TCP/IP directly to the 400; all the TCP/IP packets to the 400 are coming directly from the terminal server. The only information sent from the thin clients, which are acting as dumb terminals to the Windows 2000 server, is screen information and keystrokes over RDP.

I thought interactive was directly connected to users and what they are doing too; but our software vendor is calling our environment "unsupported" when clearly IBM states you can use Win2k terminal server and client access. They are refusing to support our software until we get rid of some disconnects that are occuring between client/server; we are using trace on the terminal server this Sunday to determine the cause of the problem, but I can't but help think we are barking up the wrong tree, since we have had priority dip on interactive sessions REGARDLESS of whether they experienced disconnects or not. Thanks.

CJF

It's just sounding very FUD-like and I am suspecting they scaled our server incorrectly. Thanks and let me know your thoughts.

Eek, when I say "They are refusing to support our software" I mean the software vendor. IBM is helping us to a traffic check between the 400 and our Win2k server.

Ask about direct to AS400,,, ie we use client access,,, and link directly to the AS400,, we do not use a terminal server,, so in our case if we can ping it,, we can connect. What is the advantage of using a terminal server? It is green screen screen characters, that get passed back and forth. Hell 9600 BAUD,, was / is excellent to pass characters back and forth. And I am just being curious, when asking. Also, if you do not mind,, which software vendor??

OK.
1. You are right about interactive CPU being exceeded. It was being caused by the application generating tables for keyword searches through the application database.
2. We use a Terminal server because I am able to administer 70 users, each with their own ts sessions, outlook, lotus smartsuite, etc. all from one box! The time savings in administration is enormous. Imagine only having to keep track of one box instead of one for each user and you see the advantage. The clients are also dumb terminals running into the win2k server which makes them zero administration, and still gives you access not only to the AS/400 but our pre-existing win32 apps, without having to purchase any more equipment (we were previously using these thincclients so it would have meant buying a whole new generation of client machines, thin or not --$$$)

The only performance hit comes when people are running multiple searches on the database now, and disconnects have gone down now that we got a few of our full PC's running XP Home upgraded to PRo, which IBM supports with Client Access.

IBM also supports term services on Win2k with Client Access.

CJF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back