Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AS 400 and Network connectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpliss

IS-IT--Management
Dec 1, 2005
US
I am no AS 400 guru, However I am the network engineer here and have a question. I was requested by our AS folks that they need to have 22 network connections to our new AS 400. This number and connectivity strikes me as very odd. I am thinking they are trying to hook serial terminal ports up to my switched network. I am very concerned they are going to damage my switch ports, blades or switches. I am being told that there are 2 racks otf RJ 45 ports on this box. Has anyone heard of 22 netwrk ports on an AS 400 or am I wrong about the terminal ports?

Thank you for the input ahead of time.

a single network card,, ie ethernet port, can support multiple connections at the same time, running client access software via a pc, via tcp. You can also, connect via twinax, or balums and rj adapters, to the internal addressing of the as400. This use to be the standard when you connect "dumb", 5250 devices. What are they trying to connect, and why? More info, gives better answers. My gut tells me, they are talking about "dumb" terminals,, but what do I know

Yes that is my point. I think these guys are trying to connect all 22 ports to my network switches. I am concerned that what they think are network ports are actaully serial ports for consoles or dumb terminals.

I understand that TCP over ethernet supports multiple access. My issue being that they are trying to connect 22 physical ports to my network switches. Something just does not sound right here.

Sounds like more research is needed. I would go look at the devices, and see for myself what type of connections they have. Then you would be able to make a "more better" determination.

I think your AS/400 folks are mistaking twinax connectivity with LAN connectivity. As JMD has indicated, as long as the server an ethernet card installed, all they need is one IP address and they are set to go.
You may want to "school" them on how LANs work.
HTH

The new larger AS400 systems / iSeries, System i or now just 'power' as they are known / can support virtualisation technology and logical partitioning and a single system can support literaly hundreds of instances of several operating systems, i - used to be OS400, AIX or even linux.

If it is a large system then 22 ethernet interfaces would easily be possible.

Ask then if they are ethernet and what ip addresses they are using to clarify if they realy are ethernet.

HTH

As DukeSSD said, if these are Power Systems with LPARs and dedicated adapters, 22 ethernet ports doesn't sound impossible. Perhaps they are talking about 11 LPARs with 2 ethernet ports each, easily done with a Power 570 and maybe some I/O Drawers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back