Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AS 2000 & Exchange 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hick22

ISP
Dec 9, 2002
GB
Recently built a few Exchange 2000 servers, all is going fine so far - trying to back it up via Arcserve 2000 (SP5), however I am unable to expand the 'Microsoft Exchange Server' Tree when creating a backup job.

Any ideas appreciated !!!

Thanks

Did you purchase and install the Exchange Agent?

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Certainly did - that configured ok.

Basically, I have 6 Exchange Servers, 3 5.5 and 3 2000.

I'm not even sure to be honest if the problem is with Arcserve now...

One of the 2000 servers can be backed up fine via arcserve, the other 2 cant due to the problem i posted above, but surely when I create a backup job and I browse that server I should see 'MS Information Store' and then be able to expand this to see storage groups etc. instead I can only see 'MS Exchange Server' without being able to expand it - as though it thinks it's a 5.5 server and not 2000 maybe ???

Anyway, even if I do just select this and start the job it fails, giving me the error - E8552 and E8563 - all of which I looked up with little success !!!

Thanks for ur time !!

Did you setup the Exchange Agent for all six servers or just the one that backed up properly?

don't have messenger do you ?

hickey_paul@hotmail.com is my msn or hick 2280 is AIM, any chance of talking via this ?

Nope, sorry. The purpose of these forums is not only to solve the immediate problem, but also so someone in the future with the same/similar problem can search and find this solution. Going offline prevents that.

I agree with that, no worries...

Anyway, think i know whats wrong, i'll post an update tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.

For the security information try using the account used to install the agent.

If that does not help, put the Job Engine and the agent (faq478-4051) in debug mode for more data.

I was wondering if you were able to resolve this as I just put up an Exchange 2000 server and am having the same problem. I cannot expand the Microsoft Exchange Server Icon. However I can expand the Microsoft Exchange Server - Brick Level Icon and backup mailboxes or public folders. Are you able to do this as well. On our old mail server I can expand all icons as expected.

Found this in another thread on in this forum. It fixed the problem for me.

Download SP3 for ARCsreve 2000.. extract it...
install the Exchagne agent from Exchange.dbs folder.

this will support Exchnage 2000/

Yes, i managed to sort it out.

As usuall it was something simple and should probably have got it sorted sooner...

Make sure you have the right version of the exchange agent on your Exchange Server:-

open the Registry -

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SOFTWARE
ComputerAssociates
ARCserveIT
DSAgent
CurrentVersion
agent
dbaexch

Check your version number, should be 7.1 also check for 'isExch2000' key.

Mine was 7.0 so the exchange agent wasn't compatible for 2000, therefore in Arserve manager it does see your Exchange Server but is looking at it as a 5.5 server.

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back