Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ARS Updates - New Area Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwjr

IS-IT--Management
Apr 30, 2002
US
Does anyone know of a good way to keep up with area code adds, splits, etc? It is extrememly difficult to wade through the NANPA website to try to find simple add and split schedules. I've not been able to find much else out on the 'net. Seems like some organization would have email updates of simple area code changes.

you can subscribe to a service on nanpa to have changes e-mailed to you. i am not sure where on the site it is since they have changed it up, but i get an email when they start planning letters for adds, splits, etc.

thanks, tim

tweege and avayaconsultant,

It seemed to me the NANPA email notification was a whole lot more than just impending add and split activations. I was sort of looking for a simple email service that would say something like: "Here's the list of changes for next month..." etc.

We have 8 call centers calling all over the country and Guam, and we've run into problems before with changes to area codes. I'm simply trying to stay "ahead" of any future problems.

Thanks for your responses to my question. I appreciate it!

CWJR,

There is really no reason not to route everything. Let the local exchange carrier or your long distance carrier return the "non-working number" recording if the user dials an invalid area code (there is no cost). My ARS ANALYSIS table looks for a specific 11-digit string starting with 1X and routes it to our long distance vendor.

I manage 48 networked Avaya PBX's, installed across the country, and this philosophy works great. It helps adminstrators and techs because everything is essentially the same.

Thanks, WHCARon

Thanks, WHCARon

Thanks, WHCARon.

The other "half" of this issue is that we are a company that needs to meet very high connect expectations. With that, we are trying to "proactively" update our database with number changes when appropriate. For instance, if someones area code changes from 615 to 931 because area code 615 was split, we don't want to wait until we start getting sittones before we are aware of a change. We'd like to be able to find out ahead of time that 615-nxx is now going to need to be dialed as 931-nxx. So, I'm just looking for some way to proactively and preemptively update our database phone numbers, if that makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back