Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arrrrgghhh DNS

Status
Not open for further replies.

mousematt

MIS
Feb 5, 2001
GB
Last week I upgraded our PDC to AD DC (yay!), with this we have changed our internal DNS addresses we were company.co.uk on our internal network but as we have a public site etc with the same address we decided that when we go to AD we would change to internal.company.co.uk, the upgrade went fine and we created a new DNS server on the AD DC. We now have both old and new DNS servers running together as to enable us to move our internal websites over slowly.

The problem is that our old DNS is still working fine when it comes to resolving names for external web pages but the new one doesn't. I've tried a nslookup and it comes back saying;

*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.100.100: Non-existent domain

the IP is our DNS server and then it uses the old one (i still have it listed in my IP properties). The server has rights through firewall. It's been a long time since i did my MCSE and I am v rusty on 2k. HELP!!

Hi

Remove "." and use forwarder. Forward to your ISP DNS Server.

So remove the "." zone?
It comes up with an error saying that it will also remove from AD and DNS is this ok, its not going to mess anything up? I have noticed that I can't use forwarders, will this enable them?

I just did this yesterday to our 2000 server and did not get that message, so I am not sure if it will mess anything up on your system. But deleting the root "." will give you access to the forwarder tab. I had to close DNS and reopen it before it would work. I then put my ISP's DNS in there and it worked properly. Hope this helps.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back