Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

arrays

Status
Not open for further replies.

nolpak

Technical User
Dec 29, 2000
US
What is the maximum dimension an array can have and what is the limit on the number of arrays simultaneously usable?

For FoxPro 6

According to Help File Topic "Visual FoxPro System Capacities":
Variables and Arrays
Maximum # of arrays 65,000
Maximum # of elements per array 65,000

Note: Cursors are often easier to work with and have fewer limitations.

Rick

Thank you very much indeed.

Morton Kaplon

Why are you thinking of using an array. The list box seems to work better with array's then tables. For just about anything else a table seems better.

Bill Couture

SBTBILL
I do some work in cattlle breeding where one has to maitain records on the heredity of many, many animals. These are stored in a data base. To study breeding characteristics one has to do genetic calculations that track back through as many generations as posssible. I have been using FoxBasePlus and using databases to store the temporary information needed since FoxBase has such limited arrays. The techniques require tracking the genealog and doing calculations on them. On the same machinedoing a given calculation and using databases takes on FoxBase 04M15sec.
Doing that with RAM Disks for the data bases saves about 15% in 10:44 AM BUT doing
it in DOS with FoxPro2 takes 10seconds.

However working in DOS is very inconvenient and ALSO if I have the abilit to deal with larger arrays I can handle more generations and do more things.
So I wanted to know what the capabilities of FoxPro were at the upper limit.
I am unfamiliar with Cursors as I have never used Fox Softsare beond FoxPro2.0

Morton Kaplon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back