Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Array?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CPK6104

IS-IT--Management
Dec 19, 2007
US
Using CR version 11.5

I'm not sure how to proceed but I think I may need to evaluate records using array logic.. and I do not have any experience with arrays yet.

Each of my parent records also has one or more child records associated to them.. and children have Tiers (1-8) assigned like this:

Parent1
Child1 - Tier2
Child2 - Tier3
Parent2
Child1 - Tier1
Parent3
Child1 - Tier1
Child2 - Tier5
Child3 - Tier8
Parent4
Child3 - Tier4

Tier 1 is more important than Tier 8. Therefore, I'd like to list the Parent records in order based on the minimum tier assigned to the child records. Parent records with at least one Tier1 child should be grouped and listed first. Parecnts with at least one Tier2 should be grouped and listed second and so on. Ties are grouped/listed accordingly in alpha order. So in the above example, the results should be:

Parent2
Parent3
Parent1
Parent4

Parent2 and Parent3 are tied since they both have at least one Tier1 child. The parents are unique and should only be listed once. Any ideas?

I was able to get what I wanted with a table:

Rows: Parent Records
Columns: Tier Values (1, 2, 3..)
Summarized Fields: Minimum of Tier Value

This lists Parent records with at least one Tier 1 first, Tier 2 second, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back