Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arguments for Cold Fusion over PHP

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreampolice

Technical User
Dec 20, 2006
US
I have an area that doesnt want to continue to spend money on Cold Fusion license which we have used for the past 7 years. Instead they want free PHP.

My arguments for keeping CF is simpler (and quicker) to develop web applications and easier to train people to learn CF. Quicker development saves resource time which saves money in the long run.

PHP has more coding compared to CF. For example charts and graphs are quicker and shorter code compared to PHP. Any other arguments or issues that I can use to keep CF over PHP?

Existing code.

Lyndon

---People Remember about 10% of what you say ---They never forget how you made them feel. Covey

Not that this is an actual answer to your question, but here's a list of the top 100 ColdFusion websites according to Alexa and Google. There are some pretty impressive names in there...

Hope This Helps!

ECAR
ECAR Technologies

"My work is a game, a very serious game." - M.C. Escher

If you were starting a new server, PHP would be my choice for it is Free (as in freedom and beer). If you have only CF programmers and have only CF code, cost of retraining and migrating is more than the cost of a new license. Once you have a license; however, there is no cost unless you buy more servers.

[plug=shameless]
[/plug]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back