Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Area of Application of C++

Status
Not open for further replies.

magezi

Programmer
Mar 2, 2000
UG
It sounds a silly question especially from me, But I want to know what is the most immediate area of Application of C++;

I like this language because it is an extension of my favourite language C, But apart from the excitement I get when I write c code or even projects in C and see them run I have not gone too far.

Comparatively I have developed Data Base Applications using VBA and Ms Access(97/2000) and have sold them to organizations here and fetched money!

I have started seriously learning C++, more so because I have searched the Net for jobs and it appears it is on high demand but before reaching there I want some one to entice me What real life problem will C++ solve ? Nkabirwa Sowed Magezi
nkabirwa@netscape.net

A Ugandan Developer for

(1) School Management Information System(SMIS) - Foxpro 2.6 ; Ms-Acess 97

(2)Debt onitoring System(DMS) - Ms-Acess 97

(3) The Loans Recovery System(LS) - Ms- Access 97

(4) The Dry Cleaners System(DS) - Ms- Access 97

Hi,
The immediate area of C++ I think covers the topics of,
-Classes & structures
-objects
-character strings
-stacks & Queues

Which then leads to more advance topics such as,

-Inheritance
-Polymorphism
-Recursions
-Searching and sorting
-hashing
-Linked lists and trees

Once you've mastered that, you go work for microsoft,just kidding:)

c++ can solve any problem you throw at it, unlike virtually all other languages. THeres nothing to stop you doing database apps in c++.

Here are some example apps written in C/C++:
Windows 95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP
All the Office apps
Linux
Warcraft II, III
Starcraft
Doom
Quake
It's a full-featured, very efficient (when done right) programming language... although VB might be better for quickly creating Windows applications, VB can't beat C/C++ for speed, security (again, when done right), and for interoperability between operating systems (Unix/Linux don't have Visual Basic, for instance).

( =

Amazing that this thread happened to be started just as I decided to start poking around the C++ forum.

I'm a VB fugitive that's starting to learn C++. The problem I'm having is a lack of motivation. When I was learning (well, as I learn) VB, I was immediately able to put my knowledge to use. I've been able to create useful apps for my organization using VB. This has provided me with ample motivation to continue using and learning the language.
C++ sounds great but I can't justify spending the additional time to develop something I can do much more easily with VB.
What got you folks started? What sort of programs were you writing in the early stages of your "C++ journey". Why did you use C++ instead of.. oh, say VisualBasic. I'm sure many of you came from backgrounds that predated VisualBasic or at least the more powerful versions of VB.

by using language like C and C++, you can gain more understanding about the detail of operation performed to achieve particular tasks.

you can easily finished your program with language like visual basic. but i think, the one that ready to think and learn about the details about programming task is best to be classified as real programmer. because language like visual basic is for end-user. (but there are many argue about that VB can produce very powerful...)

when we start to learn C or C++ language, you should not go directly to advance topics. we should learn the basics first. else vast amount of time and efforts will be waste.

C++ language allows you to write efficient, compact (short), expressive, abstract code. you may love it...

I chose C++ because Visual Basic just simply didn't exist when I started programming.

Pascal, yes... built-in Apple IIe BASIC, yes... even QBASIC... but C/C++ brings a greater level of control and power, a deeper understanding of the underpinnings of hardware, operating systems, programs, and their interactions amongst each other...

VB is a Rapid Application Development tool, suitable for front-ends to existing functionality (like querying or modifying a SQL database, or adding quick functionality to Office programs) and suitable for test-beds.

C/C++ are made for system-level programming, for nuts and bolts... it's where the REAL answers lie (lay?)... F'rinstance, using C/C++, you would understand why you have to pass VARIANTS for some functions, but can pass straight INTs for others...

Also, C/C++ are portable across non-Microsoft systems (UNIX, Linux, Solaris, Sun, Irix, AIX, Macintosh, BeOS)... VB is strictly Win32.

If I wanted to write a quick front-end to a DLL that had Zip capabilities (say, for mimicking WinZip without paying the fee), then I'd use VB. In fact, it would save me a lot of work.

If I wanted to actually WRITE that DLL that had Zip capabilities, I'd write it in C/C++... it handles functions better, and I can reuse most of that code on a different platform.
Ultimately... <shrug> It depends on what you need.

Thanks for your replies. I'm going to continue trying to learn C++ because I am interested in the lower level workings of the machine and I know it will help my VB programming as well, particularly when it comes to API calls. Unfortunately, I think I'm going to need to run across a problem that I just can't solve with VB before I begin actually using C++. I'm not writing video games or anything where speed is critical. I guess what I've really been doing up to now is, like RevenEris said, writing front ends to existing functionality - lightweight database apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back