Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Are there table name changes between version 8 and 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrstoo

IS-IT--Management
Jan 12, 2009
US
I'm researching an application that directly connects to GP 8 database and we are considering migrating to GP 10.

Are there significant table structure / name changes between the versions?

Thank you!

The SDK (Software Development Kit) lists changes made to tables. Usually, table names would not change, but there might be new columns added.

Get the SDK from the Tools folder of CD2 of the install CDs.

David Musgrave [MSFT]
Escalation Engineer - Microsoft Dynamics GP
Microsoft Dynamics Support - Asia Pacific

Microsoft Dynamics (formerly Microsoft Business Solutions)

mailto:David.Musgrave@online.microsoft.com

Any views contained within are my personal views and not necessarily Microsoft policy.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

There is a significant difference in table schemas in GP10 vs GP8. It is designed to integrate with Sharepoint and Office 2007, so is very denormalized.

When we upgraded from 9.0 to 10, it took 18 hours to convert the tables and do the upgrade. Our database was 32GB in size, so fair warning there. We were told it would take 7-8 hours by our service provider, then when I attended a GP "seminar" at Microsoft, found out that my experience was not uncommon at all and that some upgrades took even longer.

I don't know what tables you were touching, but the is very little difference in the core tables other than some new columns.

David Musgrave [MSFT]

Any views contained within are my personal views and not necessarily Microsoft policy.

Thank you both for your comments - I don't have access to the SDK at this time so I can't verify for myself.

At a high level, what tables are considered core and which are not?

And msndba - did you have to make changes to a custom app or did it just take a long time to upgrade your instance?

Thanks again.

Core tables are tables which have their table definitions in the Dynamics.dic.

Modules: System Manager, RM, PM, IVC, IV, POP, SOP, BOM etc.

As opposed to addon dictionaries such as Project and Field Service.

You can install the SDK from the Tools folder of CD 2 of the install CDs or download it using the links on this blog page:

David Musgrave [MSFT]

seems at one time someone had an excel sheet that had a tab for each module and the tables that were in there with a description of each table - THAT was a resource for GP 9 that I could not have gotten by without - even our partner took copies for several of their clients.

I haven't seen table name changes in the core modules(refer to David's post above) but saw some in Manufacturing so I don't know what msndba is referring to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back