Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Are there system boards without extras?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 28, 2004
US
Every years, I build my own personal system. I dual-boot Windows. I buy a case and everything I need. It gets tougher every time, it seems.

Three years ago, I managed to get an Asus motherboard. The board didn't have any sound, video, network ports, or other stuff I didn't want on-board.

I worked warranty service for a year. I remember having to switch out system boards about a dozen times because the on-board sound went bad.

This year, buying a system board without a bunch of extras seems like a nearly impossible task. First, I pay for all this stuff in the form of a higher price for a board--it's not free. Secondly, many times the integrated stuff isn't the brand I want or as powerful as I want.

It's really just like buying a PC and getting Windows already included or getting a pizza with everything when you just want pepperoni.

I'm possibly looking at a Tyan, but even their selection is quite limited. Asus had been bucking the trend toward integrating everything, but they have completely caved in. Things also seem to be more difficult because I am considering buying AMD for the first time instead of Intel.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

You can always disable everything.. but I understand your plight. For best results I never get on-board graphics, and I never get on-board sound,, although sounds should not be as big as issue. I like the Gigabyte boards. I have put 4 pc's togather using AMD cpus, and gigabyte boards. I have never had any of them fail. I just want faster machines,, so get a new MB and CPU,, and then look at what pieces and parts I can re-use.

Since 95% of customers want features, that's what gets built. If the board mfrs did make a low-feature board that sold only 5% as frequently, it would cost more, not less.

You are probably better off just disabling the parts you need, and selecting a board based on price, since that's what seems to be a sensitive issue for you.

Realistically, however, a board without any built in features would require a LOT of cards. Consider, a typical PC probably would need:
** Sound card
** video card
** network card
** USB card
** FireWire Card
** PATA card for optical disks
** SATA card for disks
** Legacy cards for old serial, parallel, keyboard, mouse???
That gets to be expensive, and fills a computer box. Most Mobos have most of these ports built in, and we can use them or not.

I was afraid that this is the kind of "help" I would get.

There are not many motherboards made with both no integrated sound or ethernet. normally one of these items is integrated. You would almost have to special order to find one now. Some of the PIII motherboards came with no Sound, Ethernet, or video, but they were few and far between.

This is how it is today. Most motherboards come with at least integrated sound and ethernet. Intel use to make some motherboards with no sound and no video for high-end gaming systems. Now almost no motherboards come with no integrated sound and most servers have integrated video.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

langleymass, what do you mean by?

"I was afraid that this is the kind of "help" I would get."

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Except for the graphics, almost every feature is now a part of the chipset, so the mobo manufacturers put the connectors for it.

I've been using cheap ECS motherboards exactly because they were "no-frills" mobos. I don't know how ECS fares these days, but when I purchased mine last year (three PCs) they were quite cool and inexpensive AMD mobos. Don't be afraid of AMD. I am an "Intel Outside" guy, and I never had a regret after looking at the people around with their Intel stuff. Like those happy with their AUDIs whatever the maintenance costs are. (but let's not start a thread with this.)

Even the ECS came with sound, but I turned it off. I have an Audigy 2 and a Radeon 9600XT on them, and it just works great.

langleymass,

"Every years, I build my own personal system. I dual-boot Windows. I buy a case and everything I need. It gets tougher every time, it seems.

Are you doing a clean install when you do a board swap or are you just moving drives onto a new board?

What versions of Windows are you Dual Booting?

langleymass
I can see you are getting a little impatient with peoples replies.
But unfortunately there just isn't such a product any more.
Abit used to be the champion of the quality minimalist mainboard but they like everyone else has given in to trend and user demand.
Unfortunately you are in the minority as most users are happy not to have to pay for evey addon feature and as a minority sector these boards are just not economical to build, there simply isn't the demand otherwise there would surely be a supply.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

I have seen intel boards with very little to them, not sure if they still make these, but early P4 mobos made by Intel, some were minimal. So there might be some newer Intel made mobos around, but i wouldnt know where to find them.
These days you just might not be able to find what you are looking for.

Abit AT7-MAX2 mobo.

I just read, on another post, about the user reporting there is no onboard ram on this mobo, so maybe it is something you might want to look into. I dont know anything about it, just picked up the info, as i said, from another post.

Use the Intel D875PBZ bord, no sound, no video etc. But the bord is rather expensive, alas its ultra high performance.
Regards

Jurgen

Sorry, i meant no onboard video on that Abit AT7-MAX2 mobo, so i am thinking perhaps there is no onboard sound as well.

Wish they had an edit function here!!!

jurgen36
I thought Intel as well but the board you highlight is an older socket 478
I'm presuming if langleymass is upgrading every year, like he says, then he isn't going to want older technology but a newer socket: Intel 775 or AMD 939 PCIe? and with these latest platforms Everything including the kitchen sink comes as standard.

martin

You could look at server boards, They tend to only come with integrated ethernet. But of course they are going to cost you.

Stu..

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

Ooops forgot to say many come with basic video, but this is easily disabled.

Stu..

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

I checked out the Abit AT7-MAX2 on their web site. It appears to have quite a bit of stuff onboard. It doesn't mention that it is optional. Perhaps earlier versions did have more options?

I had not considered Abit, but may consider them.

The Intel D875BPZ looks a little better. But it apparently is "older." Thus, can I really do much with it?

I actually made an error in my first post. I build a new system every THREE years.

The last board I did buy was an early P4 board from Asus. It had all the stuff I would expect a board to have and nothing more.

langleymass
The Intel D875BPZ is a fine choice even now but it wouldn't be right for us not to mention several major hardware updates since boards like this were released:

PCI express: a newer faster bus and completely differant interface to plain PCI.

The impending general release of dual core processors

Newer sockets available, so that means on the Intel platform socket 775 (939 for AMD) but others soon to arrive.

The choice is down mainly to intended use and of course budget

For general use and gaming the crown definately goes to AMD but Intel is still a sound choice for number crunching tasks like encoding etc.

I generally am leaning toward AMD. I am mainly doing so because I don't like what Intel has done with their latest processors. The pins are going to be on the socket, instead of the board.

However, there aren't as many board options with AMD. That is most likely because there are less people using them.

The added features are almost "free" anyways as most of the capabilities are built into the main chipsets. All that's needed to implement is a small chip that is basically just the interface to the outside world (called a PHY or physical layer) that connects to the sockets or headers for connections. If you don't want the features, just disable them.
. After all, it wasn't that long ago that you couldn't even buy a mobo for under $100. - and the dollar was worth more then too. Now you get a LOADED mobo for well under $100. See the excellent Asrock mobos for example.
. You would be surprised at how good the on-board sound is these days. Most have little use for better. Same for the network interfaces. Even the integrated video (usually found on microATX mobos) is fine for non-gamers.

.bh.

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. -- Thomas Paine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back