Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Are there known problems with Exchange database & .pst files

Status
Not open for further replies.

mih

MIS
Jun 27, 2002
GB
We have been told (by a consultant) that there are known problems with the Exchange 5.5 database, that it will definitely become corrupt at some time. Anyone else heard this, or have any info.
Also (same consultant) that .pst files become corrupt very easily and that the more they grow in size the more this happens. Again any info on this?

Depends what "at some time" means. Mine's been ok for the last 3 years.

PST files can corrupt just like any other file. I've got some 500MB PST files that are fine. Depends how you link to them - over a network link that goes down then yes it could corrupt.

Make a sentence using "talking" "arse" and "consultant".

mih

as with any database they stand to be corrupted. Our exchange server runs a scan & clean up routine nightly. We do not have that many users so it may not have a problem handle our load. As for .pst files I have one user with a 200+ meg .pst file. As he is the President of the company he hangs on to every piece of mail he gets and i can not convince him to clean up. He as no problem with is email other then being slow sometimes.

Here is what I see most commonly with .pst files is they are fine until they reach around 1GB. Other issues I see is if the .pst is loaded on a server it takes Outlook forever to open because it pulls the .pst down from the server while opening. General rule of thumb I tell my users are keep the .pst on the hard drive and try to clean it out regularly. When .pst's get corrupted there is an Inbox repair tool you can run to try to fix it. As long as you tell your users to try to clean them out and keep them under 1GB they should rarely run into that problem. Having it on the server has its advantages because it's easy to back them all up for the users. Keep in mind the bigger the .pst file gets the longer Outlook is going to take to open if it is stored on the server. -Brad
A+, MCSE NT4, MCDBA SQL7

-Best cartoon of all time :-D 'Spongebob Squarepants' :-D

I have had problems with my IS becoming corrupt. The last time it happened it was due to need to run the hotfix for RPC post sp4. I know of other admins who have never had a crash since originally installing Exchange 4.0 and upgrading through 5.5 after 4 years. So like anything else in life you will hear of great success and great failure with Exchange.

And good luck if you ever let a .PST get to 2 gigs! Not fun to deal with. 2 gigs is the hard limit for .PST files.

I currently have everyone on a .PST off of a fileserver. This way if my server crashes I can scrap the current IS and start a new one. It allows me to be up and running within minutes as long as the OS is intact.

Number one rule with .pst files is make sure they are backed up. Email is important and often mission critical. If your going to ask your users to move messages (user data) off the server then provide them a fault tolerant solution by ensuring their .pst files are backed up.

Yes depending upon a number of circumstances .pst files can become corrupt. I wouldn't say it is the norm though, I've used a .pst since around 97 and have never had a problem.

Also, what alternative is your consultant recommending?

Many thanks to you all. My experience over 3-4 years is the same as yours, no database corruption, and .pst files need just a little care and always backup! however I am aware that others have different experiences and needed to find out if anyone else knew of definite problems.
:-D

Frankly, users should just delete their .pst files occasionaly. Why should we allow our server drives to become overwhelmed with more old data that will probably (and from my experience, very rarely) be used? It's absurd. It's like keeping tires from your old cars. Sentimental value, perhaps. Practicality, nope. I dont' back up any of my 200 user .pst files - they all remain on their own drives. I've made it clear that should their drive crash, say goodbye to their "old tires." I've had a few 200 mb files, and two of them went corrupt. They were easy to fix. I've had about 40 users so far who decided to password protect their .PST files, and then forget their password!! They come to me with a puppy dog look, and I say, "ok, it can be found." After spending countless time running a utility program to extract their password, I realize that .PST files, like old tires, are almost completely worthless.

Any reason why a pst file through windows explorer shows as 1.23GB and when you open up Outlook and go to the Mail Archive properties, the total size is only showing as 601MB? Just to clear up any questions, it is mapped to the correct pst file and when doing a windows search it is the only large pst file. Please, any help on this would be appreciated.

agreed bronto! ;) When creating a pst, Compression is set to 'NORMAL' by default. You can set it to high compression or have the option to turn it off completely. Al Rozon
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

I have problem in the configuration of my microsoft exchange so as to use it for my intranet.I need solution as per gateway configuration to my ISP so as to pull my mails and also to send my mails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back