Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Are there different types of TCP? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there different types of TCP?
Well, yes. . . Async, Bisync, SNA, SDLC and several more. . .

I am doing research on networking.
Ok.

You will most likely receive replies that ar emore useful if you invest some keystrokes explaining what you want to research. . .

if TCP stands for Transmission Control Protocol, then is SNA for example a type of it or is it in fact another protocol (IBM) altogether and not a "type" of TCP? both of which define how packets are sent. like POP3 is a protocol for mail but it is not a "type of TCP"? Or is it?

DougP
[r2d2] < I Built one

No---only one TCP---SMTP is a protocol that uses TCP port 25, but there is only one TCP. Wow...never been asked that one before...

/

tim@tim-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get install windows
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package windows...Thank Goodness!

^^ that's why i lawled/ also papadba has his whole osi model confused.

CCNP

I second the "lol"

Good call. Today we salute YOU, Mr. Tek-Tips Lol Guy

/

Building dependency tree

also papadba has his whole osi model confused.
Possibly. . . But not. . . I don't "do" osi models<g>

One of the problems with being involved with data transmissions for over 40 years is terms like osi, tcp/ip, the internet, etc hadn't even been coined, so i tend to think in terms other than only Internet Protocol. . . For many of us anything that was established as a protocol to control transmissions was known as a TCP.

My bad - i'll try to control myself in the future <blush>.

after doing further research I found these

T/TCP: TCP for Transactions
ATCP
TCP(7)
ST-TCP
STCP
TCP-R

so I suspect that what is meant by "types" of TCP

DougP
[r2d2] < I Built one

t/tcp and st-tcp are extensions of TCP, not types. TCP 7 is TCP that simply uses port 7, IOW TCP port 7. ATCP is not TCP---it is a thin layer that resides BETWEEN L3 and L4, IP and TCP, for use in facilitating faster transmissions so that retransmissions occur rather han dropped packets, due to the high number of bit errors in Ad-Hoc networks. The rest are variants of TCP, not different types. So---ONLY ONE TCP!!!

Like only one IP---Internet Protocol. IPv4 and IPv6 are not different types---IP is IP, but there are so far 2 ways of number addressing it logically.

/

Building dependency tree

AGAIN, NEWB...

Those are congestion control and congestion avoidance options, or mechanisms if you will, which are built into the TCP header...

AGAIN---ONLY ONE TCP!!! Hey ISP---why aren't you screening for newbs that try and Google to find something that they think they can use to argue something that is pretty much written in stone? I thought it was your turn...

READ MY LIPS!!! ONE TRANSPORT CONTROL PROTOCOL, MANY BIT OPTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/

Building dependency tree

lol, sorry im slipping..my arm is tired from beating these dead horses. I just cant understand How someone (aka-wawior85) can read Your post then post something so freaking wrong. uggggg. Good job though well explained. Have a star.

CCNP

For me "different types of TCP" mean: Tahoe, Reno, Sack...
Ofc TCP is one, with small modifications in behaviour noticed above.

In:

there is:
//
Abstract

This paper uses simulations to explore the performance of different TCP versions . We compare TCP Tahoe, Reno, and SACK at different scenarios. The performance analysis was based the simulation with different packet drops from a window of data and different traffic loads. We found from the simulation results that Reno TCP suffered from performance problems when multiple packets are dropped while it performs as well as SACK works when only one packet is dropped. TCP SACK outperforms TCP Tahoe and Reno when multiple packets are dropped.
//

and I think that my only bad was to equal word "type"="version" according to topic subject.

Sorry for bothering you

Quality of Service Blog

I don't trust just ANYTHING that's on the internet---whomever wrote that thinks like you, no offense. I trust the RFC's. Read those some time, especially this one...

relating to your "versions"...lol

note selective acknowledgement OPTIONS...RFC's are the original papers written by the people who came up with the technology and idea, tested and verified, and documented the findings. What you have posted is some newb trying to act important.

AGAIN---these are OPTIONAL BITS that are ADDED to EXISTING TCP technology. I am not playing semantics. Windows and Linux are two different types of OS's. Windows XP and 2000 Pro are two different versions of Windows, not types.

ISP---thanks for the star. I am done beating this dead horse...:)

/

Building dependency tree

Step away from the acid...

/

Building dependency tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back