Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Are there any decent alternatives to VSS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomLeMes

MIS
Mar 19, 2004
GB
I have been using VSS for the last year or two and though it seems to do a pretty decent job, I'm interested in what else is out there to handle source version control. Does anyone know of any equivalent packages (in terms of features and capability) that could be viewed as a serious alternative to VSS? Are there any main advantages/disadvantages?

Any information or pointers to useful resources would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Tom

Hi! There is a tool called "CVS". This should be an alternative to SourceSafe. I've never tried it, but some say, this is the best for team-development.

You can see an example how to get it working with Visual Studio:

Btw, the new Team Foundation Server from Microsoft has a completely new SourceSafe, which stores it's information in a SQL Server database (you finally get rid of the "aaaaaa.a"-files). If you've got the environment for this "monster", try it.

Hi Tobsen69,

Thanks for the that. I did a bit of a web-trawl when looking into this and also came across CVS (plus an offshoot called Subversion). The other biggies seem to be Rational ClearCase and SourceGear Vault. I think we're going to plump for Vault, it sounding like the easiest option for migrating from VSS. Thanks again,

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back