Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Are SIP endpoints and IP endpoints the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostZman

Vendor
Sep 22, 2011
US
I am having issues configuring an Avaya B179 SIP conference phone on our IP Office Demo system. It does not appear to be registering. I think it might be looking for a SIP endpoint rather than an IP endpoint. I was not sure if they were the same or different.

They work for me, fill in only numbers no names.

Avaya_Red.gif

Dain Bramaged (Avaya Search tool )

To answer the question:

· B149 Conference Phone
Conference phone for personal office use and small and medium sized conference rooms. Connects to the IP Office system using an analog extension port.

· B159 Conference Phone
Conference phone for medium to large sized conference rooms. Connects to the IP Office system using an analog extension port. This model can also be connected to a PC using USB or to a DECT/GSM device.

· B179 Conference Phone
Conference phone for medium to large sized conference rooms. Connects as a SIP extension using an 3rd-Party Endpoint license.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

3rd Party IP Endpoint???

Jamie Green

Football is not a matter of life and death-It is far more important!!!!

just an update. I got it connected. I believe my error was trying to use it as an H323 extension. I deleted it and rebuilt is as a SIP extension and it comes up fine now. I will have to say that it is a bit complicated for a conference phone, as it has a load of features. So it will definitely be worth while to try this phone out before we install any of them.

B179's work on 7.0 with Avaya IP endpoint licenses. At least I assume they do as I have a couple on a system running 7.0.12 and they don't have any 3rd party licenses. I'd assume if you run them on 6.X then you'd need a 3rd party license, even though the docs don't say they are officially supported until 7.

this brings up a related question, I just setup a Polycom 7000 on release 7, and the app docs said to have an Avaya IP endpoint license. I remember setting up a Polycom 6000 on release 6 and i needed the 3rd party IP license instead. Did this change somewhere in the licensing between 6 and 7? (btw these are both setup as SIP extn's per Avaya docs)

Manager for 8.0 says you need a 3th party ip endpoint license.
7.0 does not give any information at all.

BAZINGA!

The B179 works fine with an Avaya IP Endpoint license. Could it be that now that it is an Avaya phone, this is what is needed. I hope they don't change that part in R8.

Perhaps the docs are wrong.
I cannot even find that they are supported :)

BAZINGA!

Hi all,
I realize this thread is nearly four months old, but it was one of the first I found when I googled the subject, so I thought an update might be useful for others who find it the same way.

On 8.0.16, the B179 SIP conference phone utilizes an Avaya IP endpoint licence.

I ran into similar issues with set registration that I (finally) traced to the Authentication Name and Password (defined in the SIP tab of the B179 web manager) not matching the User NAME and LOGIN CODE (in IP Office Manager) when the extension had "Force Authorization" set.

Sorry for reviving a dead thread, hopefully this info hasn't already been provided somewhere else.

Matt McNabb
SaskTel

The B179 needs an Avaya IP endpoint lincense not a 3rd party one!

I have them working on my test system, you can even register it to two different IPO's

Avaya_Red.gif

Just want to give Kudos to this thread and GhostZman.

I've been struggling to get a Polycom 7000 to register on our IP Office 500, Bought the 3rd party SIP end point license, upgraded the firmware on the polycom.. nothing. The issue was that someone else had created the extension before they called me in to see why it wasn't working. I, probably out of laziness, never bothered to scrap everything they did and start over. Turns out they had created the extension as a H323 extension and not a SIP extension.

So my initial laziness cost me, literally, 6 or 7 hours.

I am having an issue with a b179 connecting up to ip office 8. I verified that it is a SIP extension. I also made sure the username and password matched on the manager and on the web interface for the phone. It still refuses to register and the logs for the phone show 403 forbidden. Can anyone please assist me with this?

@nrogers, try to untick "forced authorisation" on the extension itself.

Avaya_Red.gif

I've tested these on 7.0 and on 8.0, in both cases it used a Avaya IP endpoint license.

If it ain't dutch it ain't much

Any other suggestions? It will not connect regardless of the box being checked or not. I have it set to use an Avaya IP endpoint license as well.

Thanks

You have 2 lines in the B179 which one is configured? You cannot let them both register to the same number.

Avaya_Red.gif

I also had some problems to get it running. It's really weird...

The original KONFTEL version, of course, need a 3rd-party IP Endpoint license. And it is a SIP phone, hence you will create a SIP extension.

The AVAYA labled B179 needs an AVAYA IP Endpoint license. It is still a SIP phone, so you need to create a SIP extension, even if you do not have any license for 'other' SIP phones. (similar to the video softphone, but here you have to create the extension yourselfs)

The next question is:
How can you use standard IPO features like inquiry, transfer, conference using IPO ressources, etc. ?
A conference call can only include 4 parties. They are called directly, not using the IPO conference features.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back