Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Are OEM disks legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagel

Technical User
Jan 14, 2001
US
Whatt's the story on licensing/compliance with OEM disks? I thought they were valid Microsoft software. Are they legal on my machine if I purchase them from a third party? Where can I find more info on this subject? Thanks...

'Normally' you cannot purchase an OEM disk.
In general, those are reserved for suppliers to be delivered with new PC's only.
A shop selling these seperately would be acting illegal.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

An OEM disk is tied into the PC it is bourght with. It can NOT be loaded onto another PC, even if the old PC had the operating system removed first.

This is why OEM copys are so cheap.

Technically (answer coming from Microsoft) is that an OEM copy can be supplied along with hardware. So in essence, a shop could provide an OEM copy of Windows XP along with just a Microsoft Mouse for example.

I used to work for a small computer company, and that's what Microsoft UK told us. Then again, Microsoft tend to be wrong a lot don't they.

Did you also know that when Microsoft provide bulk pre-activated XP cd's, all the key codes are the same (I've known 3 companies with EXACTLY the same key codes)

To my my knowledge and experience w/ OEM software... It is illegal to buy or sell the software w/ just the product key... Most legit OEM software comes w/ a EULA (End User Licence Agreement)... So in essence, you can buy an OEM operating system w/o the EULA if you have the EULA sticker on your PC for that particular version... In that case, you'd be buying it because your original CD got trashed or lost... Lastly, OEM software is legal if it is purchased w/ the EULA and a piece of hardware or complete computer system.

bullit44...

That is so wrong!
Besides, why would you buy an OEM CD just because the CD is broken? You can just use any copy if you have a license, or purchase the media only.
See the previous posts for correctness.

Lighten-up marcus41... I didn't say just buy OEM if your CD is trashed... It was only an example... And the rest is correct if you would take the time to contact Microsoft, which I have.

You never said you did all that through contacting Microsoft did you. That makes it a different story.

purchase the media.... is is cheaper...? how much cost it approximately...? is not possible if he has license then jus get a copy from any one.. and install it. basicaly we are paying for license. am i wrong...?

you are not so wrong, it is the license you pay.
the media is about max. 10 - US$ or less.
A copy will do fine, you best have your own copy anyway first!

from where we can buy just media....do we need to show also license to them...?

Direct MS or any MS dealer.
Why would you NOT show a license?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back