Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Are Nortel BCM/Avaya boxes "programmable"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkMasters

Programmer
May 7, 2008
GB
I'm wondering if there are any programmable facilities within BCM50 type boxes. Ideally I need to take a voicemail, convert it to MP3 (if not so already) and rename it as something like CLID-timestamp.mp3.

You can use the Unified Messaging client on the BCM 50 to listen to the message and save it as a WAV file. I don't know of any way to do it without using the UM client.

Is it right there's no operating system on these types of machines, nothing scriptable? What I want to do sounds fairly straightforward, but I'm getting the feeling that it's going to be tricky.

There is an OS, it runs a version of Linux. But, there is no supported way I'm aware of to do what you're trying to do.

I'm thinking that what might suit my needs is a PC, a bunch of modems and some simple TAPI software. Might not need to go to the extent of using a BCM. Anyone aware of any good TAPI programmers/companies?

FYI - Avaya's IP Office product (competes with BCM) will record a voicemail message and email it to you as a .wav file.
Mike

Sounds interesting - I'd need it to send it to an email address that was related to which ever agent telephoned in to the system - can it check the CLID and then email that particular person?

yes, you can route incoming calls by caller id, so you would route by all the agents telephone numbers to a particular voicemail box which would then send it to whatever email address you have programmed.

TBH the more I've thought about it over the past few days, the more I'm convinced it's a (fairly simple) custom application on a nicely specced PC. Just need to work out what language is best and the required hardware (some kind of 24 port switch I'm thinking).

Actually sounds like a simple IVR app to me with a PRI card or analog caller ID card installed in a PC with the IVR application. Google "brooktrout boards" for the hardware although I think they got bought by someone not too too long ago.

Any idea on capacity or budget? 2nd options is that most PBX systems are priced based on ports so you still might not be out of your price range by buying an off the shelf system like IP Office to do this without the "custom" hassles.

-CL

can probably be used to very quickly implement what you're trying to achieve (see for example though you may need to put some effort into it if you want to record the voicemail in the BCM and then have Asterisk dial in and fetch it back out.

See for more detailed information about development options.

Coincidentally I was directed to Asterisk last night by a colleague. From what I've read, it looks as though I wouldn't need a BCM - just a properly specced PC with a suitable card.

Is there quite a community of Asterisk developers out there? Is it a well supported framework?

Capacity - I would need probably 10 ISDN. Budget - just working through ideas at the moment, so no budget set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back