Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Are my processor temps average?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JacksonVFR

Technical User
Oct 2, 2003
US
With summer almost here, there are those in-between days (like today) where I don't need to run the air conditioning, but it's still rather warm. I have 4 case fans in my computer now and the stock heatsink and fan for my AMD Athlon XP 2800+ processor. I use my computer for pretty light stuff, web browsing and media mostly. My processor diode temp seems to be reaching about 42 C to 45 C. Just wondering if this is normal and at what degree it begins to be a problem? Thanks!

Perfectly normal. I'd only worry if it suddenly rises significantly.

JacksonVFR
From my experiences with XP CPU's around this speed, a max of 45C is very good, I seem to remember getting temps in the high 40's
Of course a lot depends on the ambient temps the PC is kept in (room temp) because this is "air cooling" the lower the temperature of air you feed the PC the lower the CPU temp will be.
As for how high, well it was generally excepted that XP's remain stable until they hit the mid 60's C with most people agreeing that anything under 60C was fine (the lower the better of course)
Burn out temps for this model were 80 or 85C if my memory serves me correct.
Just be aware that it is very important to blow out any debris from the heatsink at regular intervals (at least once a year)
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Thanks to both of you. Especially your paparazi for all your info. It's just about 80 degrees F outside right now, and about the same in the room. Just enough to be almost too warm for me to hack it and have to turn the air on.

It seems my computer will be ok on these warm days though, with the info you gave me. For some odd reason I thought I read burnout temps were 55C or 60C, which would explain my worry. I'm glad to be corrected! I won't let my processor over the high 40s. If my processor is that hot, then it's surely going to be too hot for me in the room as well. I appreciate the help!

Just to be certain!!! you are talking about an older Athlon XP2.8+ "Barton Core" socket "A" 462 and not the later 64bit socket 754 CPU's?
The later types have a much lower running and max temp range.
Martin

Hi paparazi,

No, I was talking about the Socket "A" Athlon XP 2800+. Ooops, sorry, should have specified. The highest it's read so far has been 45 C. So, is that pushing the limit?

Thanks for the reminder Jackson!

I brushed the dust off my intake fan after reading your post. It's been 90-100°F here for the last couple of months and I've been neglecting my maintenance.

My 2800+ Barton runs 24/7 under 100% cpu load and I need to keep a more watchful eye on it. Currently, temps are 52°C cpu and 39°C case...down about 2°C than reported before the dust bunny clean up. At idle, temps go down to 47/36°C in about twenty minutes...they'd likely be lower if I cleaned the inside of my case.

Anyway, your temps are just fine and you shouldn't experience any problems at all below 75°C...don't worry if it gets in the 50's or 60's.

I've seen some problems with Tbred's and Palominos at about 75°C range, but never had a barton core run that hot.

BTW, I'm air cooled with decent airflow thru the case and a 6 dollar hsf that is dead quiet.

Skip

For future reference check out The Heatsink Guide which lists a lot of CPUs and their standard operating temperature range.

I have the smae exact CPU as you and I operate in the same range.

JacksonVFR
45C is coolsville for this CPU and far from "pushing the limit"
As I said anything under 60C is fine, 65C I regard as the limit of reliability and stability for said processor.

Martin

Ok, much thanks to everyone! Maxthedork, that site is bookmarked now. I suppose I could've used the search feature here or spent a little more time with some search engines, but I had trouble. I spent about an hour looking for info on temperature ranges at AMD's webpage. Anyhow, I apprecaite all the info for such a simple question! You guys always come to the rescue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back