Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Are my CCNA books too old?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgodinez

Technical User
Apr 18, 2001
US
Dear Greater Cisco Intellect,

I too am gearin' up for the CCNA.

I'm using the following materials to study with:

CCNA Study Guide - Lammle, Sybex 1999
Exam 604-507

Cisco CCNA 640-507 Cert. Guide - Odom, Cisco Press

I've read that the topics on the next generation CCNA exam are no different than the topics covered in 640-507. However, I'm not sure how relevant my study materials are.

Much Obliged,

Mike Godinez
Seattle, WA

Partly Sunny!!!

Well, lets see, subnetting, access control lists and the like haven't changed all that much. To pass the current CCNA exam, you'll need to know the following material well:

OSPF (single area)
IGRP/EIGRP
RIP v1/v2
VLANS, Switches
Troubleshooting
cisco 3 layer design model
OSI 7 layer model
CIDR/VLSM
ISDN/Frame Relay
Some Design issues
Product Line (Routers and Switches)

I could go on, but you get the idea. You'll get probably 3 simulations, and some 50 odd questions which need to be answered on the first attempt, all within 75 minutes. The passing score is 849/1000 (you can't score lower than 300).

While your books can cover some of the material, i'd recommend getting Wendell Odom's CCNA Exam Prep Guide and
perhaps a practice CCNA test or two from boson.com

Bill

mgodinez,
I do not know who told you that the topics for the 507 CCNA exam are the same for the 607 CCNA exam and the new 801 CCNA exam.

That is just not correct and if you study just those books you will have a very hard time with the CCNA exam.

The basics of the test are the same but the new 801 CCNA exam DOES NOT cover Novell any longer, goes into greater detail on switching (VLANs, VTP, STP) and adds VSLM, NAT, OSPF(in a sing. area), EIGRP, DHCP and I am sure a few that I have missed.

Get yourself the current Sybex book or Cisco Press book and get some time on real Cisco switches and routers or at least a good sim like the one from Cisco Press/Boson.

Go to and check out the current objectives for the CCNA exam.

Good luck !!!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

AGree with the previous post - passed my CCNA in 2003 with current books. Lent my books to a mate who took the exam in 2004 and he said there was loads of new stuff.

Andy Leates MCSE CCNA MCP+I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back