Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Are laser checks or dot matrix checks better? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

diogenes10

Technical User
Jan 22, 2003
US
I am trying to decide whether to switch from dot matrix checks to laser checks for payroll and accounts payable. Our accounting system supports both.
Wondered if anyone has any comments or opinions about this.
Thanks.

I always use laser cheques without any problems. The only thing you need to think about is if your existing cheques have more than one copy. On a dot matrix you can used carbon paper to print on a second copy. On a alser printer, you will need to print the cheques twice. [pc]

Graham

We process our laser checks twice. First with the check information (payee, amount, etc.) and then a second pass to overwrite the information with a watermark type logo design. This prevents fraud and forgery. Can't do that quickly with a dot-matrix printer. However, if you have lots of stock of continues feed checks, I wouldn't throw them out. Use them up before switching to laser checks.

Another feature of laser printing, in general, is that the "ink" is much more durable and the printing is usually much more crisp than dot-matrix or ink-jet. (You are NOT considering ink-jet, are you?)

WW

No to the inkjet. We did discuss using one, but on the ones we have, you'd have to put the checks in upside down, which presented some problems. I hadn't thought about the ink issue with them.

The company has provided a couple of HP 1200 laserjets for accounting.

Our checks are single copy and for the company I'm considering switching over, the stock of dot matrix forms is almost gone. That and the new printers are what made the question come up.

Dave

THanks koresnordic and window wizard. Appreciate you taking the time to give me a comment.

Windowwizard
Is the watermark process you mentioned specific to your checkwriting applications, or is it something that can be done with any accounting program?
Thanks.

The watermark process is simply a word document that was printed to the printer, but captured to a file (print to file was check when printing). Then all that is done is to copy the resulting printer file to the printer from a CMD window. Obviously, it can be done directly from Word as well or any program that prints to the printer.

So the two-pass process is really a two application process as well. (The watermark step also "signs" the checks with a scanned copy of the signature.) The file that is copied is not available to anyone but the controller (it's on a diskette), so he can approve all the checks first then puts them in the printer, and voila, copies the file to the printer with a DOS command, COPY SIGNCHCK.PRN LPT1: /B .

WW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back