Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

are hot plug drives downwardly compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookouri

IS-IT--Management
Feb 23, 2000
US
Can anyone give me a quick answer regarding hot plug drives? I have a bunch of hot plug ultra2 scsi drives from ML530 machines. What are the chances that a Proliant 6500 machine with ultra scsi would be able to use those drives?
slim to none?? <G>

thanks for any input...

Never mind... they are not even close... i guess i should have had sense enough to actually compare them first... but it IS early... thats the only excuse I have....

The ProLiant 6500 can support Wide-Ultra2 SCSI internally by adding optional components. The first is an Ultra2 drive option cage that replaces the existing Wide-Ultra SCSI-3 cage (Wide Ultra2/Ultra3 Drives require the purchase and installation of the Wide Ultra2/Ultra3 Storage Cage Option Kit (382158-B21.))

Compaq's Ultra2 SCSI based controllers like the Smart Array 3200, Smart Array 221, and Dual-Channel Wide-Ultra2 SCSI controller support this cage.

Smart Array 221 Controller 388099-B21
Smart Array 3200 Controller 295643-B21

You can sometimes find these items on eBay by searching on the part numbers.

Coit M. DuBose, Ph.D.

If you want to get rid of those drives, I'll take them. I just bought a ml530 and I only have 2 9.1G hot-swap drives. I have the older type hot-swap drives for the 1600, 3000 type sleds. I believe they will fit into the 6500 bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back