Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Are EMC Clariion and Dell PowerVault products compatible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falcon23

Vendor
Oct 5, 2005
US
I have 2 EMC FC4700's and acquired some Dell Power Vault 630F DAE's and DPE's and several 73g drives.

I tried to expand my FC4700 by adding a Dell DAE and the drives came up as unsupported.

I then tried to put some EMC drives into the Dell DAE, but they would not physically slide into the disk tray.
I found a metal tab was blocking the drive from being installed. The Dell drives have a notch cut into the carrier that the EMC drives don't have.
I then cut a notch into an EMC drive and slid it in and was able to see it fine from my management station.
The drives are of the same type Cheetah 73g but they have different firmware EMC=4a20 Dell=DE18.

So is the Dell hardware incompatible at both the hardware (can't physically insert drive) and software (drive label has different format) levels?

I'm not too sure about the physical problems you are having with the drives, but I know that the FC4700s definately support PowerVoult 630 DAEs, because that is how several of my environments are configured.
The problem may be that you are running old firmware on the 4700s SPs that does not like the 73GB drives. The newer firmware revisions support both 36 and 73GB drives running in attached 630s, but I know that older versions supported 36GB drives only.

Hi

This may help you.

1. Dell and EMC drive sleds are different
Dell has cutout tab
2. Dell and EMC enclosures have drive tab
Thus need cut out on sled
3. Dell and EMC drive firmware is different.
IE: Dell is DExx EMC is 38xx
4. Both will support up to 146GB with proper FLARE

bltserv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back