Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Are diagnostics cards really helpful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnknownPerson

Programmer
Dec 4, 2001
BR
I am about to buy a diagnostics card (those with special leds on them to diagnose mainboards and alike) but "someone" told me that they have a bad reputation, because they often give "unexact information."

Could anyone really serious about the matter help me solve this dilema??

Thanking in advance,

The way hardware is today, you're gonna know just by unplugging components. My advise, unless you do tons of PC's everyday, don't bother. It would be a waste.

Jay [3eyes]

Forgot to mention that these "cards" are also pretty accurate at pinpointing faults in the motherboard, BUT, motherboards are made to be throw-away these days. IF something goes wrong with the board, you throw it away and buy a new one.

Jay[3eyes]

If the M/B supports it it will tell you what unrepairable part failed, or where in POST it died, probably. It can help with IRQs and voltages but I don't have one yet and probably won't. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

built one about four years ago programmed with pics thinking it might come in handy. since then I have repaired a quite a few m/c's but I aint used the post card yet.
don't bother

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back