Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Are computers simply too complicated for common use 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

guestgulkan

Technical User
Sep 8, 2002
GB
Compared to other household hi-tec equipment, the computer is far and away the most complicated and convuluted to use and probably the most unreliable.

The everyday home computer user does not want to worry about
stuff like operating systems, drivers, and service pack downloading, etc..
He she/wants to take it home, plug it in and have it work
(like the hi-fi, satellite TV, and dare I say it - video recorder).

A lot of computers must end up as expensive oversized paper weights or are resold soon after purchase when it becomes clear that they are a lot more complicated to use than advertised (and probably a lot less interesting).

LOL jack1955, I totally agree. I consider myself well-endowed with computer sense, but damned if I could get my mind around where to go to turn off the computer! It couldn't possibly be start! And you wonder why normal people have problems with it?

ROFL

What's kind of sad is the "Start" button issue has been raised over and over again with MS, and yet they have not even considered (as far as I can tell) changing it since its introduction in 8-9 years ago

Generally I find that people who build it understand it and don't realize or care that others don't understand it. They could say- "hey we made a mistake, it doesn't make sense to the new person." If it was just the stop computer under the start button, it would be a small problem, but there are so many other things that are stupid. Like, why can't I highlight and copy an error message is a message box? I gotta copy the image or write down the message. I want to copy it and search the internet for the reason I'm getting this error!

Like the lack of street signs in an area, the locals know where they are going, the outsiders don't know what is what. Instead of putting up some signs, the locals just don;t give a damn.

As a former help desk employee and trainer, my aggravation isn't with the people who can't learn easily, but the people who refuse!

If you are going to shell out at least a grand on a peice of equipment, or were hired to do a job that requires you to know that peice of equipment then learn to use it!!

I once had this user that no matter how many times I visited and patiently explained, no matter how detailed my instructions were, everytime she STARTED to do the task she would call me. She wouldn't even attempt on her own!

The only release I had was to go back to my IT buddies and vent my frustration by informing them of my lastest user issue. Given sometimes we techies do get a little bad with joking about ID10Ts, but some of them desereve it! Just about ask for it!!

But I digress, when this happened I just kept repeating what my husband told me, "If it weren't for the ID10Ts, I wouldn't have a job." :)

No point blaming the end users, calling them IDIOTS and the like. It's because they have been psyched by all the tall talk about computers being for really bright people etc.

10-20 years back there were no digital diaries and PDAs. But how many people need instructions and help to ghet going with it?. Simple, standardised and basics remain unchanged despite competing technologies

Next programming a VCR or setting favourite channels on the TV. IDIOTS can still manage.

So we (the so called intellignet people) need to understand that we must design interfaces that:
-> Completely automate the boot process,
-> Have simple interfaces that start the functions right away. Eg. In a spreadsheet, you can start typing straight away, but in a DBMS, you need to structure your columns, set up the data base etc ...
-> Give dashboard like indicators of disk space (fuel), etc.
-> All word processors must automatically have book marks etc.

End

Yes but that could only happen if there was a complete standardisation, which I personally wouldn't want.

Programming the VCR may be easy (at least for some), but have you tried to set clock on your VCR?

Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

I seem to remember (rather vaguely) an attempt several years ago to solve this VCR programming problem.

The remote control for the VCR incorporated a bar-code reader. In the TV guide there was a little barcode next to each program. The idea was that you readin the program barcode and point the remote at the VCR and squirted the information to it.

It never caught really caught on.
Anybody remember that ??

I've never seen that, the nearest thing we have here is Video Plus. You type in the numbers next to the program and it automatically sets up the date/time.

Grenage,
Not forgetting to ensure PDC is turned on. [lol]

It is very annoying when the programmes start later than scheduled.

Even so, I have shown many people how to use the Video Plus function. Sometimes that takes longer than effecting a PC repair.

Ted

"The difference between a misfortune and a calamity is this: If Gladstone fell into the Thames, it would be a misfortune. But if someone dragged him out again, that would be a calamity."
Benjamin Disraeli.

Grenage,
Nice one. [lol]

Seriously though, it is surprising the comments one hears when asking that very question.

As with setting up a new PC most people who I help do not bother to read the instructions that come with the VCR.

Ted

"The difference between a misfortune and a calamity is this: If Gladstone fell into the Thames, it would be a misfortune. But if someone dragged him out again, that would be a calamity."
Benjamin Disraeli.

Even better, the clock on my VCR sets itself (I'm not quite sure how)!!

But, back on topic, how much of computer users incompentence will decline once the children of the 90s/00s start really using computers. My kids (9 & 10) can set up the computer, install programs and find stuff on the internet faster and better than my mom can.

It's all in what you are comfortable with and know. Could my kids get a record (you know the black vinyl kind) started without scratching it all to hell? Probably not, they've never seen one before. Can they put 5 CDs in the player and set the random function? Of course that's child's play.

Leslie

Yes especially considering that kids now a days use computers a lot. When I was in high school, I first introduced to a computer. I still used a typewriter (Brother of course) to write my papers. Not with kids now. Using a pc, is like what using a typewriter was with previous generations, everyone did it!

I have found the commonly accepted view that children know about computers to be conflicting.
What it seems that they are taught in school is how to click or double click on icons and 'how' to use the internet (and only IE).

I work in a communal computer centre and we let children use the computers at certain times and here are my observations:

1. Spelling is bad - so their google searches fail 95% of the time. They are always asking me to spell even the simplest words.

2. They do not understand that computers take time to do things ( a second probably seem a long time to a 10 year old), so they keep clicking on icons. So every half hour or so I have to close down the 20 copies or so of IE or MS Word that grinding a computer to a halt or clear each print queue of several dozen of each print document.

3. They do not know about directories or filenames, or how they are organised - so I'm always looking for 'lost' documents.

4. And so on.

When an adult(parent) says their child knows about computers, what they usually mean is that the kid knows how to use IE to browse the internet a bit.

Again, it would depend on who is teaching the children. Perhaps children of computer professionals are more exposed to them and have a better understanding. I know mine do. Children who are taught by the users we all complain about aren't going to learn the correct ways and how to use them.

Leslie

I would completely agree with guestgulkan. Some time ago I remember reading an article that stated, with the Internet becoming more used, that spelling would become more important, not less.

As with a parent who says their kid "knows" computers, I would have to agree that it is mostly, they know how to click.

To me, knowing a computer is being able to explain, say, virtual memory, to which, I am almost positive, 99% of those proud parents' children wouldn't have a clue.

Interesting thread, and a lot of thought provoking responses. What I'd like to add is that - although one would imagine that knowing how to use a computer in 2003AD would be a life skill somewhat akin to knowing how to use a rock in 2003BC, there seems to be a pervading sense that it's OK (even 'cool') to not know about computers. I've lost count of the number of times someone has asked what I do for a crust, only to respond to the answer with "Computers huh... wouldn't even know how to turn one on? HAW-HAW!".

No-one seems to take pride in not knowing how to drive, I don't take pride in the fact that I can't play the viola, so why would anyone think they were being impressive by not knowing how to operate a computer. If my grandparents can email me to pester me into sending them digital photos of my kids anyone can learn the fundamentals.

As to the "kids know about computers" phenomenon, I once had a prospective client ask me why his company should spend money getting their website built when his nine-year-old daughter learns how to make web pages in school. My response: "Well, give her a video camera and she can do your TV advertising too."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back