Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Are all banners animated gifs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keano

Technical User
Mar 2, 2001
US
Aren't most banners animated gif's and not flash banners, becasue to see a Flash banner you need the Flash Player downloaded right?
thanks

Well, it's kinda hard to say really. You're right, flash banners need the plugin to be viewed, which might encourage banner creators to stick with static or animated gifs (or even plain old HTML). But then again, I've been seeing more and more Flash banners appearing on the web, and the plugin is available for most systems now anyway....

But to be absolutely safe Animated Gifs are best right.

Well, to be absolutely safe use plain HTML ;)

But generally, animated gifs of a reasonable file size are more welcome that Flash. Just go with what you think suits the sites style...

About 96% of internet users' browsers are capable of viewing Flash. I much prefer Flash ads on the sites I design because they load really quickly and can be more animated. If you notice, this site uses Flash banners, and it means dial up users won't be put of by slow loading pages because of those huge gifs. I have used some pretty old and crappy browsers in my time, but never come across one that doesn't show Flash.

Flash for me anytime.

Hope that was useful!:)

I'd go with flash. animated gifs are looking so stale and it's attention you'll want to attract. for the amount of people with flash now it would be fairly safe given the additional effect that can be had.

Obviously don't use flash for the sake of it though. appropriate use is a must.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back