Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserveit661 Database Dilemma 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

supermom

Technical User
Dec 2, 2002
US
I am running Arcserveit 661 834sp2A on an NT40 server. I am backing up a huge amount of data. I have 9gig available on the drive where Arcserves database resides. So much data that every 7 to 10 days I have to Initialize the database.
The dilemma: I work at a Nuclear Power plant (no, I don't glow) and certain historical information needs to be readily available. Having said that, when you initialize how do you know what tape to merge if you need to do a restore. Restore will tell you exactaly what tape and sequence number to merge. Isn't that lost when you initialize. Is there any way that I can save the database somewhere so that I can possibly use it or is there another way I can keep a copy of the log. Reports don't seem to show the serial number of the tape so that does not seem like an option for now. I am hoping there are some of you sperts that can give me some guidance.

[bigglasses]
My future is so bright, I have to wear sunglasses! NOT
supermom
MCP

HI,

I'd suggest that you make a copy of the Database folder before you initialize it.
then as and when needed, swap the current DB and the one you saved up...

sounds logical??

Hope it does... and dont get too close to those reactors....:)

cheers
speshalyst So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

I will try that and let you know how it goes.
Thanks!
supermom

If you have a large size database, supermom, then I'd go forward with another work around.

Make a copy of a blank database..... Let me know if you need one.... ;)

Instead of initializing the database, rename the existing database folder to another folder as per the backup date, then create a new database folder under your ARCServe folder and copy the contents of the empty database files to this folder. This will make your life a lot easier.

If you still need a blank database, let me know the database type which you can lookup in the summary view of the database manager.
DatabaseBaba...

I thought I had a blank copy of the database. Can you send me one. sjones1@entergy.com

Lemme know what is the database type in the database manager.... DatabaseBaba...

I would run regular or special backups of the arcserve database from another backup host so you can restore the database. We have a container schedule where all the tapes are changed daily and sent off site. Therefore we know what container was used on a specific date.

Please send me a copy of that empty database (I have (VLDB) and steps in replacing current db.

VLDB@LendingSpace.com

Thanks a million!
Manu

My database is just the default (not SQL).
Thanks,
Supermom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back