Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ArcserveIT not writing to activity log

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaketo

IS-IT--Management
Aug 15, 2002
GB
Bit of an odd one this. I've inherited an NT 4.0 server running ArcserveIT 6.61, and since I gave it a good going over a few months ago, it's been running well, doing a nightly job involving files (both local and one remote server, both using BAOF), Exchange through agent, and local registry.

A few weeks ago though, it stopped writing anything to the activity log, except for the registry backup session info and the tape session merge info. Other than that, nothing.

Otherwsie the server is still working fine, but is increasingly giving out warnings and errors but I have no way of finding out what these errors are because the log is empty!!

I have checked all the obvious things (recreated the jobs, pruned the log etc) and a few less than obvious ones, and still it doesn't work.

The only thing that has changed with this server lately is that I moved it (and all the other PCs on the same LAN) to a new IP address range with no problems at all. I don't think that's related, because the logging problem started a few days after that was completed, and I had a few succssfully logged backups inbetween.

I don't really want to go into too much technical detail unless necessary, I'm just kinda hoping someone has run into this before and can at least point me in the right direction.

Cheers

Jake

Seen this when server is very low on disk space, once the main data has been backed up and swap file gets smaller then it can write to the log again, just a thought.

alternatively you can rename \\server\arcserve$\log\arcserve.log (this is the activity log)

to something else and start a new log to see if the problem is resolved

You might reboot the server. The deamond that looks after writeing to the loge files may be stoped/crashed.
Eamo

Thanks guys, tried all these (and more!).

Got fed-up in the end and re-installed the server from scratch, and it's now working fine, so I guess we'll never know! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back