Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ArcServe2000 vs Veritas Backup-Exec? Did you switch from ArcServe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

josephlai

Technical User
Aug 7, 2002
MO
Just want to do a simple poll. Our company currently using ArcServe2000 and have had some problems with it (especially when doing Exchange2000 per-mailbox level (brick-level) backup). And then some company shows us Veritas and we are evaluating whether it is worth to switch.

Anyone here have experience with both ArcServe2000 and Veritas?? Did you switch from ArcServe to Veritas? Do you think it's better in your case? I am especially interested in how Veritas performs in doing remote backup of Exchange2000 & MS SQL2000.

Any advice is much appreciated.

thanks to all.

As a corporation with about 16,000 workstations & 1000+ servers, we have chosen to use Veritas for our Exchange servers and stick with ArcServe2000 for everything else.

My vote is for arcserve 2000, it works great for exchange2000 and sql2000...
Even my friends in the IT industry vote for the same..
Arcserve tech support is excellent...
Baba says...
"Known is a drop, unknown is a ocean"

Hi,

I'm having the same problem here. Still thinking which to choose.. what is your decision from Sept till now..?

What have you bought ?

Fioon

ArcServe is best for Win NT and Exchange 5.5. However, Veritas is better for Windows 2000, .NET and Exchange 2000. This is from vast experience with both. Sebastian Jazzer
MCSE 4.0, Network+, A+, Web Developer

We switched from Arcserv to Backup Exec - Arcserv tech support is in India and they have no quality control - solutions offered were useless - the product is no good and niether is the support. Buy backupexec - you will be satified -

Thanks for all who reply to this post. In my case, we still have not made our decision yet. Because of other projects that are going on... At first I post this message because we bought Arcserve from a local vendor and they kind of just sold us the product and that is--end of story--no support. And then another company show up and they're partnered w/ some sales persons from Veritas and tried to sell us their solution...

and we're in fact having some problem with Arcserve backup for Exchange2000. It just hangs in the middle of the backup and write to the error log in a Very fast rate -- thus fill up the harddisk and crashed the server. Ok so we reported this to CA support in HK and somehow got it solve for the moment. But this problem re-occur several months a time. And we need to turn off the power of the mail server and restart it. And we need to restart the Backup Agent Service on the mail server before doing mailboxs backup or it may failed. Anyway, it's just these kind of small things that annoys us...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back