Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve2000 remote manager stops tapeengine on older ARCserve servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

876robew8rywe

Technical User
Mar 3, 2003
NL
Hello,

Is the ARCserve 2000 remote manager compatible with servers that run a previous version of ARCserve.
I noticed that you can see the job status, but when trying to modify the job, or open the device screen, the tape egine of the remote server stops and their appears a DR. Watson message.

Sander

The servers who have this problem run NT4. I'm not sure about the ARCserver version. (Proberly 6 or 7).

From what I've found..

An Arcserve 2000 Browser will nuke the tape engine on...

Arcserve 6.61 (Any installs not running SP2A)

Arcserve 6.5 (NT All versions)

Arcserve 6.0 (NT All versions)

Wonderful huh? We've had to set aside 2 PCs simply to monitor our network. One running an Arcserve 2000 Browser (for AS2000 and 6.61 SP2A servers) and another running a 6.61 Browser (for servers running unpatched and older verions of Arcserve.). Obviously, you can't monitor AS2000 servers from a 6.61 client. That would be too helpful.

And upgrading all machines to AS2000 and beyond is something that only a madman would do.

I had the same problem when I was managing Arcserve. My boss was "upset" that I needed a multiple machines to deal with AS 2K and 6.5. I solved it by talking him into a memory upgrade and a copy of VMWare.

Ian

I had this same problem. We are running servers with Arcserve 6.61, 2000 and now Version 9. This really sucks switching from one to another. Now I am able to manage servers runing 6.61 and 2000 from the 2000 manager and for the version 9 I had to install it on a different location. In order to manage 6.61 I had to install the latest service pack wich I think is SP2A. after this I was able to manage from a 2000 console.

Peace,

SDLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back