Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ArcServe2000 & HP surestore 2/20

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbine

MIS
May 30, 2001
US
Hi all.
Attempting to setup HP Surestore 2/20 and Arcserve 2000. Have no prior exp. w/either. The Arcserve docs are dismal....

We plan to BU 10 NT 4.0 servers, currently about 80gb data on daily basis. Tapes must be removed each day and stored offsite.

Any suggestions for best practice to accomplish this?

better to run 10 separate jobs? would I configure the first job to overwrite?

better to use more tapes each day and utilize both drives? it's my understanding that using the 2nd drive concurrently will slow the process down by 50% (modern math!)

we've also purchased SQL, OFM and DR, but I haven't even looked at those yet!

any suggestions greatly appreciated

The 2/20 is fully supported by AS2000.
Before trying to install the software I will recomend that you do an analysis of your network. Do a simple copy of 500MB (of representative data from each client server) to the backup server.Make sure to use a stopwatch and mesure the amount of time it takes to do each copy. Then copy them in reverse and also mesure those times. This will give you the real bandwidth. A simple math process will tell you, assuming that there is a knowledge of the used amount of disk space per server, what will be your back up total time.
Once you are sure that the numbers will match your backup window proceed to install AS2K. Remember to download the AS2K Service pack from CA ´s web page and install it. In order to install the 2/20 you should use an extra option called Tape Library option, this will be needed since the 2/20 has 2 drive(I will asumme thy are DLT 8000)
If your mesurements are way off of what you need you are better of by working on the network before installing the software.
Hope this is helpfull, you can email me any questions cacruz@dicec.cl
Bye
Carlos Alberto Cruz

I have a 2/20 Tape library as well (ultrium drives) The first thing I would suggest is to make sure that you have the latest Firmware from HP. I applied the firm ware to the library, configured two jobs to run at the same time 7:00pm and I get around 200mb per minute. You may also want to evaluate your network connectivity. A slow link will bring super poor results. HP has white papers on it's site addressing all of the above.

Clinton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back