Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve2000 adv and ext HP DDS4 autoloader

Status
Not open for further replies.

wideload

Technical User
Jul 4, 2002
GB
We have purchased a nice wonderfull DDS4 autoloader supported by AS2K.
Except, arcserve does not like the tapes, or should I say the names of the tapes. I just looks all the way through all six tapes and decides their are "no free slots".
In the job settings I've told it to blank first media then use ANY!

Anyone come accross this?

We used a DDS autoloader a long time ago b4 we changed to DLT, so I hope i can help.

Is this the first time you have come to use the autoloader? Have you mounted the slots first? try doing an inventory of the library b4 running a job.

Can you specify a tape name, create a tape with that name and it find it?

What dds drive is it?

No Pain No Gain

Step by step.
SCSI ID from the autoloader must be higher than the Streamer!!!
Have a look on your SCSI configuration.

VETINO
Scsi ID is 4, what streamer?

VARUNA
It's hit an miss as to wether it goes to tape two or not, aprox 1 in 5 times and it's not the same tape set.
I can mount, dismount the tape set, inventory, format, rease etc.
The DDS drive is an HP Surestor C5713A external

AS2K is at SP3

So the backup works, but when it runs over to two tapes it won't find another within the cartridge and carry on the backup? But sometimes it will? Is this true?

Are all slots assigned to the same group?

Do you use GFS?

No Pain No Gain

Or..... is the option for second media set to overwite same meda, blank media, then any media.

The second option for "Additional Backup Media".

If this fails make sure you have set up any weird device groups for the slots in the autoloader and in the destination tab ensure you have an *

If your using GFS then you should start with a set of fully erased tapes.

VERY IMPORTANT - Make sure your erasing the tapes with a quick erase plus! not just a quick erase, or else the tape is still not completely considered blank and hence wont be used.

Anyway, just some thoughts I had.

g

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back