Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ARCServe VLDB Maintenance Issues 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtanner01

Technical User
Nov 20, 2001
CA
We are running Windows 2000 Server with Arcserve 2000, and we have been having instances where our backups CRASH. I do not see any errors in the logs or event viewer.

I thought it best to run some maintenance on the DBs. Everytime I try and run the dbcheck/dbfix/dbdefrag/keybuild on the DBs 'asobject' and 'astpsdat' I get the error 'Failed to open database ****** Error 10'. The other DBs (ie. asjob, asmedia, asrhost, astpdrv) ran through the maintenance cycle without any issues. None of the Arcserve products are open, but the Engines are running.

Has anyone seen this or have any suggestions on what is going on? Any assistance fixing this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
M. Tanner

Seems I've had this happen before- "error 10" is an open database- shutting down your arcserve services before trying to repair these databases should do the trick.

I have discovered that if I shutdown the DBs Engine and restart it (needs to be running for routine to login) then I can get through one maintenace set. I had to do this to process all steps.

All said and done the DBs that I am struggling never got any smaller. I know that pruning is occuring.

Any suggestions?! I have found no help on Computer Associates site to address this issue.

Thanks!

Hi,

If you have the Backup Agent for Open Files installed on this machine, Please uninstall it, reboot the server ...

Now you should be able to run any number of tests..

I have run into similar problems and in my case it was either of the following: ARCserve Manager was running, the prune job was active or the files were being merged into the database, (too soon after the backup finishes).

I too have been having my share of problems using these utilities. I did find another site that may help you, for it has info you may be seeking as I have. It is esupport.ca.com . Check the FAQ section, select ARCserve 2000 and click on the Database topic.

I think I may just go ahead and start over by initializing the database(s).

Stop the job and tape engines but leave the db engine running.

I run dbcheck daily after every backup and everytime I have to first ...

net stop "arcserve database engine"
del Arcserve\database\rdm.chk
del Arcserve\database\ra*.chg
del Arcserve\database\rdm.chi
net start "arcserve database engine"

because if I don't do this procedure I get an Error 10, just like mtanner01.

I really wish I could turn back the clock and install Tapeware instead ArcServe. :(

Error 10 is caused by the ARCserve Manager being open. When the Database window is open it creates and active session for the Database.

That's what the CA documentation says, but when the ArcServe Manager has been closed down and you can still get error 10. I get it every day and the only way to even verify that your database is in tact is to delete those files. I was getting error 10 even after I had performed only one backup after initializing the database.

Tip:
I have run into the error 10 several times trying to defrag the database. And each time it is because I have terminaled into the sever and had the managers running on different sessions, which didnt allow the defrag to run because there were open handles to the database still.
I just went to the task manager to killed all the BAB managers, and then bam, it worked great.
This is just an attention to detail thing that slowed me down several times, maybe this will help someone in a similiar situation to mine.
-YldBrainOJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back