Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ARCserve VLDB databse problem 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

prudent

IS-IT--Management
Dec 6, 2000
US
I'm running ARCserveIt 6.61 EE SP1 on about 300 servers using a 7 tape library (ADIC vls DLT 400). I am encountering a problem on about half of them, after I reboot a server, ArcServe will get the wrong version of the tape and therefore backups will fail.(ex. when going into device management, the last format date will be wrong) Only after doing an inventory of all tapes will the backups start working again.

I suspect that the database is corrupt. I realized that when viewing the database Media view (manager\database\media view), it lists all the previous versions of the tapes (can be more that 500 entries). Is there a way I can limit the amount of entries ARCserve retains??

Run the database as per the URL given ,

You can delete the old records in the database manager by clicking on the Media records ... Higlight the old records and click on the trash can button... This will delete the old records from the database.

Get in touch if you nay...

Databasebaba

Reduce the pruning days in the server admin and once the prune job is done its clears the records from the database.

Then delete the records in the media records so your disk space will increase.

Running the database utilities will reduce all the problems in arcserve database.

Databasebaba

I understand, that I can delete the media manually, but when you consider the fact that I have to do this on 300 servers, this would be iompossible.
What I need is one of the ARCserve command-line utilities that I can schedule to run on a regular basis. I have tried some of them but they don't seem to work at all.

Maybe you know of some specific functions that does that.

BEEN THERE - DONE THAT :-(

When I run:
dbdefrag -L arcserve;admin;secret astape
or
dbdefrag -L arcserve;admin;secret asmedia

I get the following error:
No database elements have been specified: nothing to compress.

Rememeber that ASOBJECT & ASTPSDAT are the important databases .

If it gives an message like " No database elements have been specified: nothing to compress " then start running on ASTPSDAT & ASOBJECT and tell me the results.

DatabaseBaba

How does this look?

D:\apps\ARCSERVEIT>dbdefrag -L arcserve;admin;secret ASOBJECT

D:\apps\ARCSERVEIT>dbdefrag -L arcserve;admin;secret astpsdat

Still cannot get it to work

Goto the database fodler under the ARCserve folder
Type:-

dbdefrag ASJOB

You will have a window for the server, username & password

Give the following

Server Name :- arcserve
username :- admin
password :- secret

then once its completed run it on all the databases

DatabaseBaba

I tried as you said, to run it from the folder where the db is, and this is the result:

D:\apps\ARCSERVEIT\DATABASE>dbdefrag asjob
The name specified is not recognized as an
internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I tried to run it from the folder where the commands are, and this is the result:
D:\apps\ARCSERVEIT>dbdefrag asjob

DBDEFRAG Utility - Velocis 2.1.372 [24-Jun-1999]
Copyright (c) 1992-1999 Centura Software Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Hello,

SORRY for the previous response i tought you are running VLDB raima as the database ...

You have arcserve 6.61 with Sp1

So the database type is RAIMA...

So do the following,

In the arcserve fodler you will have the utility called DBMGR.exe..

use this utility and run check , repair & pack.

Databasebaba

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back